Chapter 3: Memories

A/N

The majority of the chapter is written as a flashback explaining the scene when Caroline and Catherine made the switch.  If any parts don't seem right or make sense, please, please, PLEASE tell me!  I read it over, but I might have made a mistake or missed something so if you catch anything tell me please! (:

Thanks, enjoy the chapter!

-Al

            “Caroline!” I heard a warm voice call from behind me.  I raced towards him and leapt into his arms.  His lips were soft against mine just as his arms settled around my waist.  He gently set me on my feet and beamed down on me.

            “Hello,” I managed to say, curtseying and letting a giggle escape my lips.

            “Hello, my love,” he whispered, letting his lips run over my knuckles.

            “I missed you so much,” I confessed, burying my face in his dress jacket.  He kissed my forehead, wrapping his arms around my waist.

            “I missed you too,” he said softly.  “But now we’re married, we can enjoy each other anytime we please without getting scolded.” He added with a subtle wink.

            I let out a warm laugh and rose on my tiptoes, wrapping my arms around his neck.  “You’re such a tease you know,” I whispered.  “You’re all talk.”

            “I guess we’ll have to test your theory another time then,” he said raising an eyebrow.  “Tonight, we have a party to attend.”

            “I know,” I replied.  “I wish we could skip it, Catherine and I do not get along at all.”

            “I know darling,” he said softly, resting my fingers in the crook of his arm.  “Your father doesn’t want you to visit either, but I’m afraid you’ll regret it if you cut complete contact with her.”

            I rolled my eyes as we stepped through the familiar castle doors.  “Do not leave my side,” I warned.  “She may steal me away,” I teased, pecking his cheek.

            “Behave, my Caroline.”

            “Don’t I always?” I asked innocently.  “I’ll not embarrass you tonight.”

            “Thank you,” he said softly.

            “Caroline!” An enthusiastic voice called from behind me.  I froze as my sister came around to stand in front of me.  “You must see Madden, he is simply the catch of the season,” she insisted tugging on my sleeve.  I sent a pleading glance up at Benedict who refused to let me go.

            “I’m sorry, but your sister and I were just going to dace,” he said softly, tightening his fingers around mine.

            “Alright, later then,” she insisted, looking back at me with the same amber eyes, the same red lips curled up into a seductive grin, the same size, the same figure, the same voice, the same everything.  She disappeared into the crowd, seemingly unfazed.

            “Thank you,” I said softly, looking up at Benedict.

            “Anything for my Caroline,” he mused, twirling me and easily guiding me onto the dance floor.  “It is remarkable how similar the two of you are,” he commented.