Chapter 10 Pt. 1: Relief

I could distinguish two pairs of footsteps and I froze.  I knew that profile from anywhere; Caroline.

            I sprung to my feet and watched in horror as she held a weapon to the back of Madden.  “Well, well, well,” she teased, shoving him in my direction.  “I see your hiding place hasn’t changed a bit,” she sneered.  “If only you were less predictable,” she taunted, shaking her head disapprovingly.  “You and Madden at least have one thing in common, you never change your habits.”

            Madden stood in front of me and wrapped his arms around my waist, carefully lacing my fingers in his.  I peered around his shoulder to see her slowly pacing in the grass in front of us.  She glared up at Madden as he shielded me from her.  “We were planning to leave after dinner tonight,” Madden said softly.

            “I’d rather make sure you never returned,” she laughed.  She twisted the barrel of the gun between her fingers as her eyes stayed locked on mine.  “What a tragedy would it be if the both of you were to drown in the pond,” she said, pouting her lower lip.  “My dear sister and her darling husband escaped for a late eve swim in the nearly frozen over pond.”  She stepped closer to Madden and watched him with triumphant eyes.  “Better yet, I could make it appear like you killed her.  And me-I could be the witness to everything.  I could let you live with the guilt of murdering the only thing you held dear.”

            “They’d never believe you,” Madden said.  “Maybeth will not allow you to get away with murder and neither shall I!”

            “Why should my best friend send me to my death?” She asked arching an eyebrow.  “Maybeth and I have a special agreement.  She stays in the house with enough money to make the Queen envious.  I pay the help well, Madden.”

            “Why?  You have caused enough suffering in this lifetime.  It’s your turn to suffer Catherine,” Madden replied.

            “I suppose so, you may go then,” she said, shrugging her shoulders.  Madden moved to take me with him and she quickly raised the gun.  “No, no, no.  She stays until I decide what to do.”

            “Then I’m staying.”

            “Oh, I see you’re her new pet then?  Always tending to little Caroline” She asked bitterly.  “You’re no longer loyal to me are you Madden?  That breaks my heart, Madden.”

            “You never had my loyalty,” he scoffed, holding me tighter to him.

            “Well you gave me everything else,” she said, lowering her voice.

            “I suppose so,” he answered softly.

            “Madden,” she said softly, opening her arms.  “If you come here, this could all end smoothly for the three of us.  I will not lay a hand on her so long as you promise to leave her side.”  I shoved Madden forwards and he cast a harsh look in my direction.  “It’s alright,” she cooed, lowering her lashes, letting her eyes roam over him.

            He gave my fingers one last squeeze before he slowly stepped closer to her.  She smiled brilliantly.  “Do not hurt her, Catherine, I’ll do anything you need me to, just please do not hurt her.”

            “I promise I will not hurt her Madden,” she said like a child speaking up to her father.  She wrapped her arms around his waist and tugged him tight against her, resting her cheek against his neck.  “Kiss me, Madden,” she whispered.  His body stiffened, but he did as he was told. A soft whimper escaped my lips as I watched Catherine cast a glare in my direction.  “I dare you to kiss me.”