Chapter 8: Bitterness

I closed my eyes and waited for the bullet, but it never came.  I opened my eyes to see her pinned to the ground by Madden.  Benedict stood at a distance and I watched in horror as he lunged for Madden.

            “Madden!” I shouted, watching as Benedict pulled Madden off of Catherine and glared at me.

            “Benedict, she was trying to kill Catherine,” Madden said rushing to my side and enveloping me in his arms.  I was in shock, had my sister really tried to just kill me?  “I couldn’t let Caroline kill her,” he whispered, kissing my forehead and rubbing my back.

            “Catherine has ruined Caroline’s life!” He shouted.  “Catherine has pretended to be Caroline in attempts to seduce me.  You’re going to tell me she doesn’t deserve to die?” He shouted, taking the gun from Catherine’s fingers and helping her to her feet.  “Give me one reason why I shouldn’t kill her myself,” he spat.  The corners of Catherine’s mouth rose into a cruel smile as she ducked under his arm.  “I’m waiting.”

            “I love her, Benedict.  That’s why you shouldn’t.  This woman,” Madden shouted, glancing down at me.  I could see the tears in the corners of his eyes as I hugged him closer to me.  “This woman is the one person in the world I love, just as the one under your arm is the one you love.  I’d never kill your wife; you should give the same respect to me.”

            Benedict’s cheek twitched as he pulled the bullet out of the gun and shoved it into his pocket.  “If either one of you tries to hurt her in any way,” Benedict challenged, pushing Catherine behind him.  “I’ll execute you myself.”

            “Come one, Catherine,” Madden said, shoving past Benedict and glaring at my sister.  “You should figure out your priorities, brother,” Madden spat, lifting me into his arms and carrying me towards the castle.

            I was too stunned to react to what just happened.  Catherine was going to perform one final trick; killing her own blood.  What about Madden?  Love?  Madden loved me?

            My mind soared as I glanced up at the blue eyed beauty; he was twenty-two years old and even then he looked like a grown man who had everything figured out.  I rested my head against his chest and felt content with what I was given; so this was it.  This was going to be the rest of my life.

MaddenPOV

            I looked down at the woman in my arms and felt something inside me soften.  I love her? Yes, I love her.  Her amber eyes searched mine as we walked.  Could she love me?  Even thought I wasn’t her husband, could she learn to love me?

            I stepped inside the room and gently set her on the bed.  I kneeled in front of her and held her face between my fingers.  I could pinpoint each difference in her features between her and Catherine.  Her features were innocent and pure whereas Catherine had a worldly look to her and bitterness laced in her every feature.  Catherine was beautiful to look at, but the woman in front of me was a beautiful woman inside and out.

            She gently kissed my cheek and tossed her arms around my shoulders, embracing me and crushing me against her petite frame.  She buried her face in my chest and let out soft whimpers.  “We cannot be here,” she whispered, hiccupping.

            “I know, honey,” I breathed, resting my chin on the top of her head.  “But it’s the only way you can get Benedict back from Catherine.”

            “He doesn’t want me, Madden,” she said softly.  “You saw the way he looked at me, you could see the lies she fed him-.”