Chapter 11: Madden's Lesson for Caroline

Benedict

            I slowly opened the door to my study and dragged my feet across the floor.  This is it, I thought.  This is the future I’ve created for myself.  I sat back in my leather chair and held a glass of hard liquor tight between my fingers.

            The drink burnt my throat, but I didn’t care.  I set the glass on my desk and bit my lip.  I was never going to forgive myself.  I wanted to be okay again.

            I wanted to have Caroline again.  But I couldn’t get her back; that was my problem.  Madden had her, and I was just here to watch her grow farther apart from me.

            I took another drink, slowly feeling my muscles relax.  “I’m sorry I failed you Care,” I whispered, sitting back in my seat and tossing my head back.

_

Madden

            I followed Caroline towards our room.  She wrung her hands as she walked down the hallway.  I could tell something was bothering her and I had a feeling his name started with B.

            I jogged toward her, slowly closing the space between us.  She stopped her stride and turned to face me.  Her eyes were red from tears and I felt my heart twist inside my chest.  “I’m scared, Madden,” she whispered.  “I’m scared of losing him.”

            “Don’t be scared,” I whispered, kissing her finger tips and pulling her into my arms.  Her shoulders shook as she tentatively wrapped her arms around my waist.  “You won’t ever lose him,” I assured her.

            “I already have,” she breathed, wiping her cheeks and falling limp against me.  “He hates me, Madden.  I saw it in his eyes tonight.  He doesn’t look at me the same anymore.”

            I sighed and drew circles on her back.  “He could never hate you, Caroline.”

            “Oh he does, he does he does,” she whispered.  She shook her head and pulled away from my embrace.  She looked up at me with searching eyes.  She drew her eyebrows close as she looked at me in concern.  “I do love you, Madden.  I-I love you,” she said, trying to reassure herself.

            “I know, Care,” I whispered, wrapping an arm around her waist and opening the bedroom door.  “I know you do.”

            She looked up at me one last time before she changed into her night dress and wordlessly slipped into bed.  Her shoulders shook as she fell fast asleep.

            I carefully watched her sleep and I knew I wasn’t the one she chose; but I was the one she was going to spend her life with.  I soundlessly lifted her into my arms and watched out the window.  “I’m doing this for you Care,” I whispered, turning on my heel and heading back down the hallway.

Chapter

Benedict

            I lifted my head from my desk and rose to my feet, stretching my legs.  I opened the balcony door and spared a glance towards the lower level’s eastern guest hall.  I could see a light on in Caroline and Madden’s room and I shrunk inside myself.  It was nearly midnight and I wasn’t the only one awake in the castle.

            I heard a knock on the door and shortly after I watched out of the corner of my eye and Madden stepped inside.  I saw the strain in his cheeks as he walked in my direction.  His dark, shoulder length curls were messy and I cringed as he came closer.

            “Brother,” he said, momentarily ducking his head before stopping.

            “Yes, Madden?” I asked in a strained voice.

            “If you ever-ever hurt her,” he hissed, pressing a firm finger over my heart.  “I’ll murder you myself.”

            “She’ll never let me get that close,” I sneered, slapping his hand away.  “She’s yours brother.”

            Madden took a deep breath and watched me carefully.  “I know she cares about you a lot, Benedict-.”

            “But she cares about you more!  I don’t wish to hear about it!”

            “Would you shut your ungrateful mouth for one moment and let me finish?” He shouted in disgust.

            “What could you possibly have to say?  You got the girl?” I asked.  “I know Madds, I know you have the girl.”

            He grabbed my shoulders and shook me.  I couldn’t tell which of us was more surprised, but it definitely got my attention.  “I’m leaving, Benedict,” he said slowly.  “And I’m leaving her with you.”

            My mouth hung open as I watched him with careful eyes.  “You’re giving her to… me?” I asked in astonishment.

            “I’m doing what’s best for her,” he whispered.  “But if you hurt her in anyway, I will be back, and I will take her as my wife.”

MaddenPOV

            “You’re sure?” He asked.  “You would do this?”

            “I’m doing this for her,” I hissed.  “I’m not doing you any favors; I’m doing what I know she wants.”

            “So you’re giving me a second chance?” He asked.

            I paused and I could almost feel Caroline standing beside me.  I smiled at the thought.  “Everyone deserves second chances,” I announced, embracing my brother one last time and disappearing down the hallway to give her one last letter.

            I silently walked into Benedict’s bedroom and sank to the floor beside the bed.  She clutched the sheets as she slept.  I slowly kissed her forehead and gently set the enclosed letter on the bedside table.

            “You taught me how to forgive,” I whispered, gently taking her fingers in mine.  “You showed me the importance of second chances.”  I paused and rested my head against her chest, listening to her hummingbird heartbeat.  “I’m showing you the importance of never giving up,” I whispered, kissing her fingertips and rising to my feet. I pulled the blanket higher over her shoulders.  “Goodbye, Caroline.”