Chapter 6: Second Chances

Chapter

CatherinePOV

            I almost couldn’t lose the irony of this situation.  The man who 'loved' my sweet sister more than anything in the world couldn’t tell her apart from her twin.  His arms tightened around my waist as his lips traced the back of my shoulder blades.  I tried to hold back the bitter curl of my lips; I wasn’t going to need to have him around much longer.

            “Good morning, Caroline,” he sang, beaming at me with his big, excited to please blue eyes.

            “Good morning, my love,” I whispered in mock happiness.  I planted a soft kiss on the end of his nose.

            “Happy six month anniversary,” he mused, pulling me closer to him.

            “Yes, happy Saturday,” I cooed, resting my head against his chest.

            “We’ve slept in late.  The party starts soon,” he began.

            “Or we could just stay here and enjoy each other,” I said giving him a devious grin.

            “We always have tonight,” he whispered, letting his lips trace my spine.  “And the next night,” he continued.  “And the next…”

            “Point taken,” I laughed pulling the sheets around me, getting out of bed.  “I need to call for Maybeth to dress me, if you don’t mind?” I said arching an eyebrow.

            “You weren’t this modest last time you had to change,” he complained, winking at me.

            “You’ve seen enough, now get on.  Go get your suit on, I’ll meet you once I’m in proper clothing,” I said, waving my fingertips.

            “I’ll be counting the seconds,” he teased, stepping out of the room as Maybeth came inside, shutting the door.

            “I don’t know how she can stand him, Maybeth,” I said shaking my head and rolling my eyes.  “I don’t know what I ever saw in that man.”

            “His money?” She offered, laughing as she helped me into my petticoat.  I held onto the edge of the mirror, watching her tighten the strings with careful fingers.  She was twenty-three, one year younger than Benedict.  We met when Benedict first courted me.  Maybeth and I became instant best friends.  Since then we’ve sent letters to each other, keeping a close eye on Caroline and Benedict.

            I couldn’t help but keep the victorious grin off my lips.  Caroline was so stunned when she saw me again while Benedict was away.  This time I’m not going to let her free so she can be rescued by her knight in shining armor; I’m going to keep him for myself.

            “Maybeth, did you make sure to invite Madden to the luncheon?” I asked as she tightened the petticoat around me.

            “Of course, he sent a message saying your sister would be attending with him,” she said cautiously raising her eyes to meet mine.

            “Lovely, I’ll enjoy making her look like a fool,” I sneered, lifting my chin as I spoke.  “This was rightfully my life.  She needs to learn her place as Catherine Wells,” I said sternly, turning in the mirror.  “If only I liked my sister,” I said, pursing my lips as I gawked at myself.  “We could have done this civilly.  Unfortunately for her, I don’t play well with competition,” I said with a wink.