Chapter 5: Reasonings

A/N

This is a shorter chapter (Sorry!).  This partially explains the reasoning behind everything Catherine has done and it sets the scene for the next of Catherine's tricks!

Hope you enjoy!

-Al

BenedictPOV

            The sun was already down, how was I gone for so long?  I pinched the bridge of my nose and shook my head.  “You’ve outdone yourself this time Ben,” I scolded to myself.

            The carriage began to slow and I kicked the door open, landing on unsteady feet.  I stumbled towards the castle and knocked on the door, cringing at the noise.  Maybeth opened the front door and frowned, putting a supportive arm around my waist.  “Let me get you cleaned up before you go see Lady Wells,” she said clicking her tongue in disapproval.

            “I really messed up this time, Maybeth,” I mumbled as she sat me down on the floor.  “She’s going to be so hurt, and it’s going to be my fault like it always is,” I said as crystal tears ran down my cheeks.  I glanced in the mirror and frowned at my mess of short, light brown curls and my red eyes.

            “You’re drunk,” she announced, dipping her fingers in the water to check the temperature.

            “I know,” I sighed.  “Isabelle helped me put them away.”  I shrugged my shoulders.

            “Just get in the tub so I can wash you for bed,” Maybeth pleaded, helping me into wobbly feet.  I nodded my head as I undressed and slid into the water.  “She’s waiting for you upstairs, my Lord.  Just be happy you got the good one,” she said sighing and lathering the soap between her hands and working it into my hair.

            “She should have left,” I sighed, leaning against the side of the tub.  “She shouldn’t be with a man like me.”

            “No sir, Caroline shouldn’t,” Maybeth said with her lips pressed in a flat line.  She looked down at me in pity as she rinsed the soap off of me.

            “I don’t deserve her,” I mumbled.

            “Benedict,” she said sternly.  I lifted my head to look up at her.  “Do not sit here and feel sorry for yourself.  Go make things right with her,” she demanded, lifting me to my feet and tossing a towel at me.  “It is time for me to retire; I trust that you can dress yourself in your night clothes?”

            “You think too much of me Maybeth,” I teased, pulling the towel tight around my waist.  “Goodnight, I’ll see you in the morning.”

            “I pray you’ll be in a better mood, my Lord,” she said with a soft smile.  “Goodnight and good luck with Caroline.  I know she was worried about you.”

            I slowly stepped into the long, cotton pants and toweled off my hair.  I neatly folded the towel next to the tub and wandered down the hallway towards Caroline.  I stopped just outside the door when I could see her sitting up in bed watching out the window.  I silently slid inside the room, careful not to disturb her and I climbed under the covers.

            “Did you enjoy yourself?” She asked, not taking her eyes from the window.

            “I missed you,” I said softly, sliding close to her.

            “Don’t you dare touch me,” she said narrowing her eyes, turning to glance in my direction.  Her eyes softened and she rested her lips on mine.  “I missed you too,” she teased, letting her fingers trace circles on my cheek.

            “What a pleasant welcoming,” I whispered, lacing my fingers in her blonde curls, pulling her closer to me.  She laughed and ran her fingers across my chest.

            “Anything for my husband,” she murmured.

            “Anything?” I teased.

            Her lashes lowered and her lips pulled into a sinister smile.  She lined my neck with tender kisses, tugging on my earlobe.  “Yes,” she whispered breathlessly.  “Anything.”

-

CarolinePOV

            Madden and I sat in his bedroom at the Wells Mansion in Paris.  He sat back in the reclining chair next to the door, picking at dirt beneath his nails.  I scrunched my nose and picked a book of the shelf, walking onto the balcony and sitting in the wrought iron chair.

            “Be CAREful out there,” he snickered standing from his post and leaning against the wall behind me.  “What?  You don’t find that amusing?  That took me a solid hour to think of,” he said shrugging his shoulders and sitting next to me.

            “I’m sorry I didn’t laugh at your stupid joke,” I replied coolly, not lifting my eyes.

            “Come on, Care,” he said rolling his eyes.  “Why are you being so mean to me?”

            “Because you kidnapped me!  I’m sorry I’m not welcoming you with open arms,” I grumbled.

            “Oh right, I almost forgot about that,” he said with a sly grin.

            “So obviously I’m not going to read this book,” I announced, dropping it on the coffee table.

            “Don’t let me stop you,” he said putting his hands up in defeat.

            I shook my head and rolled my eyes, watching out at the city.  “Why does Catherine want my life so badly?” I asked, glancing at Madden.

            He shrugged his shoulders and raised an eyebrow.  “Why wouldn’t she?”  I pursed my lips, urging him to explain.  “Well for starters you, younger sister, got the Duke,” he said gesturing to me.  “She got the brother of the heir.”

            “So?” I asked, narrowing my eyes.

            “Well, your sister loves money.  Unfortunately, all the money was given to my brother.”

            “So this is about money then?” I asked, leaning forward in my chair.

            “No, this is revenge.  You took something she wanted, and now she’s not stopping until she gets it.”

            “So this is about getting even?” I asked in astonishment.

            “She’s vindictive,” he offered, rising to his feet and extending a hand.  “Now, we should be getting rest, we have a big party tomorrow.”

            “Don’t remind me,” I groaned, brushing past him and sliding into bed.

            “Goodnight,” he said, sitting in his chair in front of the door and pulling a blanket over his legs.

            “Goodnight,” I said softly, curling into the covers.

A/N

Get ready for an even full of twists and turns.  The next segment is going to be killer, I've been editing it and adding to it for a few days.  I'll post it soon, thanks for reading this chapter! (:

Please vote and comment when you get the chance!

-Al