Chapter 5 : The Legacy

I felt that my evening performance was a success and as I amble towards my hotel room I feel a tap on my shoulder.

"We don't have a show tomorrow night, so would you like to come for a drink?"

I turn around to see Ashley; a little surprised I nod briefly and he leads me to the bar.

"What would you like?" He asks, smiling nonchalantly as though we had done this a million times before.

"Urm.. What are you having?"

"Whiskey and coke. Do you fancy that?"

"Okay then." I agree.

"Good. Let me buy it for you." He grins.

Before I have the chance to react, Ashley had paid for my drink and his own. Wow, I can't believe how sweet he is!

As the barman placed our glasses on the desk I heard someone creep up behind us.

"Heeeyyy guuys!" CC beams happily, looking like he'd already had a few pints before walking in.

Ashley doesn't turn around. I think he maybe hoped we'd be alone for a little while longer. I watch him as he takes a large swig from his glass before facing CC.

"So CC, you had a drink yet?" Ash questions.

"Nope. Will do though."

***TIME PASS***

The next morning I woke to find that we now had a whole day's traveling to San Francisco.

"8 hours and 16 minutes according to the satnav!" CC declares.

My eyes fall to the ground.

"You'll have to get used to traveling Alice, if you wish to remain on the tour." Jake advises.

Head still banging from the night before, I stumble towards the van. I almost fall but Andy catches me.

"Whoah there! You alright?" He looks at me worryingly.

I brush my clothes down and nod before climbing into the tour bus.

I settle myself down and prepare for the long journey ahead.

The guys seem unfazed by last night's drinking experience. Or perhaps Ashley is a bit quieter than usual. I noticed that Ashley hadn't said anything since we came out of the hotel and he had barley noticed my recent stumble. I shrugged it off and saw CC and Jake start to bicker over a YouTube video as I felt the motion of the van setting off.

Jinxx was reading something, I couldn't quite see what; meanwhile Andy was busy gazing out of the window.

I turned to face Ashley and saw that he had a tattered black ringed notebook in his hands.

"Hey Ash, what have you got there? I ask, attempting to make a conversation.

"Oh. Nothing much. This is my designing notebook."

"Designs? For AP Fashion Inc?" I remember Ashley's clothing line.

"Yeah. A few draft pieces for my clothing line, combined with a few of my old graphics sketches." He opened the first pages of the book.

"Wow! These are amazing Ash!"

"They're only drafts, Alice. My final drawings go in another book or on the computer." Ashley retorts, but I spot the bashful expression on his face.

"It's still good." I comment, taking hold of the book for a closer look.

"Thanks." He replies his cheeks slightly red.

"How many of these have you put in your clothing line?"

"A few." He answers briefly.

"Something bothering you?" I implore.

"No... No. I'm fine thanks."Ashley grasps a pencil and buries himself in his notebook.

I decide not to press him any further and gaze out of the window.

I hear the crack of a can opening and look behind to spot CC downing an entire Monster energy drink.

Great. In half and hour at a guess, we'll have to stop off at a service station...

I continue to think about my future as an artist. I wonder if touring with these guys will help to sell my EP. I hadn't had much success with Mark and was determined to do better. Back at home, sales had barely reached family and friends. I only hope that this is a new turning point for me.

Sure enough, after another forty minutes we ended up at a service station.

CC rushed to the loo while the rest of us went to buy a snack at KFC. I bought a bottle of coke and sat down on a seat to wait for the guys.

Andy placed himself next to me with a large bucket of fried chicken. He passed me a fork and told me that the bucket was for all of us to share if we wanted it.

I smiled and said thanks, but still only ate one piece. Ashley was just flicking through his notebook and Jinxx remained silent while Andy and Jake at most of the chicken, then CC arrived to finish the bucket off.

I prolong my thoughts about what would happen after the tour. I wonder if I can negotiate with Blasko to see if I can sell copies of my EP at touring and signing destinations. Perhaps that would help to get people to know me... I want to leave my own legacy that people remember.

I continued to gaze of of the bus window once back in the van, and dozed of for the rest of the long journey.

Quote: Legacy is not leaving something for people, it's leaving something in people. Peter Strople

 Peter Strople