Chapter 4

Lord Sneya, and all the tyrants before him, boast that the mighty walls surrounding us are our protection against the wild oceans beyond. Without the walls, we would not exist. Sometimes, I used to think I could hear them; when I climbed to the roof of the apartment building or by the river, attacking the walls like a watery beast, beating, crashing, and screeching. When we were little, my father used to console Isabelle and me by telling us tales of the stars. He would tell us how each star symbolised a spirit. Thus, when I heard the sounds beyond the walls, I used to imagine that it was the spirits, crying for their lost loved ones.

I do not know how long I sit there, with my back pressed against the door, knees to my chest, arms wrapped around my legs, eyes absently staring off into space. I know it must have been hours for my stomach gnaws at me like an animal and my throat burns from dehydration. Eventually, it becomes too much for me to bear and I rise to my feet. I pound my fist on the door, yelling out for food and water. The door suddenly breaks open, shoving me away and the boy who took my blood earlier steps into the room.

"What the hell, Elizabeth?" he growls, regarding me with his piercing green eyes. "I could hear you on the other end of the research wing."

"Funnily enough, that was the intention," I snap back.

He rolls his eyes and thrusts a brown paper bag at me. "I brought you food."

I hesitate, eyeing the bag suspiciously. But my stomach groans loudly, giving me away. He smirks. "Go on," he says, nodding gently.

Sighing, I take the bag from him and pry it open. Inside is a bread roll and a flask of water. I feel my guard ease and I glance up at him, swallowing my pride. "Thank you," I say, and I mean it.

I sit back on the bed and open the flask of water, taking several gulps. I hungrily sink my teeth into the bread, polishing the entire thing in seconds and downing the rest of the water. Ruben takes a step towards me and I flinch as he takes a step beside me.

"Elizabeth, I–"

"Do not call me Elizabeth," I remind him, glowering.

"Why not?" he asks, a note of genuine curiosity in his tone. He furrows his brows at me.

"That is none of your business," I retort, sticking my chin at him.

He sighs, leaning against the door. "Are you going to let us know why you dunked yourself in the River?"

I shake my head, and he sighs again. "Look, I'm not sure why you're here. But you're in danger. The Tranqs have just set off to search your home."

"Search my home?" I say and my blood turns to ice. The telltale splatters of blood on the floorboards. Isabelle.

"Is there anything you can tell me about yourself?" Ruben presses, staring at me with furrowed brows. "You mentioned something about the cure program?"

"Why are you so desperate to know," I ask. "I didn't realise it was your business."

"Frankly, yes, it is. I am trying to help you. They will torture it out of you if you don't fess up to me." He runs his hand through his dark hair and his jade eyes glint in the white light.

"Who will torture me?"

His watch beeps, and he glances at it. Averting back to me, he sighs. "Come with me. I have somewhere to take you."

"Do you know where the cure is?" I ask casually.

"No," he says. "They wouldn't tell me about things like that. Plus, it's just a fairy tale."

"How about a remedy or something that can prevent infection?"

"You're best to not ask so many questions around here," he says, squeezing past me and stepping out of the door. "Follow me."