Chapter 27

Larissa rakes the comb through my curls, pulling out all the knots while I train my gaze outside the window. I can see the River from where I sit on a rickety wooden stool in the bedroom, I spent many nights in after Isabelle's death. The sun dips below the top of the wall, casting its burnt orange light across the city, painting the sky in an array of yellow, pink, and indigo. The colour reflects in the river and waterfall that are otherwise a steely grey.

"Did Lord Sneya tell you about the uprisings in the Convex Sector?" Larissa breaks up my thoughts.

"Oh, he told me. How did you know?"

"News spreads in the palace. Even though we're not allowed to watch the coverage on television."

"I didn't realise people were doing this," I say.

"I think it's been brewing for some time," she says.

"I don't think I've been so scared before," I say, voice shaky with panic. "I didn't mean everyone at the bar to die because of me."

"Hey now." She stops and steps in front of me, kneeling to my eye level. "It is not your fault he is cruel. People have endured too much. They needed someone like you. You've given people hope and they are brave enough to take a chance."

"I shouldn't have done it," I splutter, tears rolling down my cheeks. "Isabelle was right about the stupid River. It was too dangerous. I don't want this anymore."

"Elle!" She squeezes my shoulders. "You are braver than anyone I know. But this is beyond you now."

She stands up. Larissa's nimble fingers move again. She winds the locks together and ties the end of the braid with a band. She steps in front of me, her blue eyes peering into my own with an new determination. "Let's show them that Convex are bigger than some old man's power."

I wipe the tears away. "Okay, let's do it."

She grins back. Larissa then shuffles up to the narrow bed, picking up black cargo pants and a grey tunic. She turns around while I change out of the thin blue gown, stepping into the leggings, shrugging on the tunic. The movements tug at my bullet graze and I bite back a wince. As I turn back around, Larissa pulls out a synthetic leather belt and wraps it around my waist.

"One more thing," she says, bending down to her slight case. She dusts my face with powder, draws a line of black kohl under my eye and swipes my lashes with mascara. She steps back, narrowing her eyes as she peers at me. Her lips purse. Then she nods.

"Larissa, I'm having a duel with Sneya, not attending his evening meal. What was the point of that?" I ask.

"Come on, Elle." She shakes her head as if it is obvious. "You must look your best when facing Lord Sneya."

I cannot help but smile at that. "If I die today, please give my middle finger to Lord Sneya."

----

My stomach churns at the grand courtroom doors. They rise to a monumental height, engraved with wild animals from before the apocalypse. Lions, elephants, giraffes, rhinoceros. Two Tranquillity patrolmen stand rigidly right behind me. They each clutch a rifle, ready for use. I turn to Larissa, who waits with me. With my hands clenched at my sides, I swallow the lump in my throat. Behind the doors, the rumble of cheerful Concave chatter only curdles my insides. I hate myself for allowing Sneya to get to me like this, and I give my head a little shake, clearing the thoughts. I close my eyes for several beats, blowing out my lungs and inhaling. Then rumble in the courtroom quietens.

Lord Sneya's booming voice echoes across the room. "Good evening, my beloved Concave citizens! What a night for such an event. Tonight, I have invited the infamous Red Leaf to a duel. As you know, there are Convex citizens turning to her for courage. They want to take over my position and put everyone at risk of illness. She is a symbol of rebellion. Tonight, I'll reduce her to a shell to show them she is not worthy of such as a risk, as I am the only leader capable of keeping the city safe. We shall see how brave she is when faced with the point my sharpest of swords!"