Chapter 35

I stumble backwards, tripping on my feet, just catching myself on the verge of falling. My heart thunders beneath my ribs, threatening to burst from my chest as the image of the coughing man burns into my brain.

The Tranquillity patrolman grips my shoulders, jolting me. "You must return to the palace, Red Leaf," he orders.

But I wrench myself free of his grip, turn and flee. His string of curses follows me in my wake. Yet he does not pursue, and I disappear into the streets, hurtling towards my apartment. I career through the streets, feet pounding against the cobbled streets, along with the erratic beat of my heart. At last, I arrive Madam Sallow's house. I throw the door open and burst into the kitchen. The boys flinch at my abrupt entrance, and at the sight of Ruben and Aston, tears spill down my cheeks.

"Elle?" Ruben opens his arms and I slam into him, almost knocking him over. He squeezes me as I choke on my sobs, whispering assurances into my hair. "It's okay, Elle."

"No!" I shove him back, wiping the tears from my cheeks. "You weren't there, Ruben. Someone died! The virus, it killed him."

His light eyes widen, and he steps back. "Oh my God."

"Elle," Aston says from his perch on the couch. With the frustration on his face, I know he wants to hug me. But with his injury, he must stay where he is. "Where did this person die?"

"In the Trades," I sigh, walking over to him. "He just appeared. He was coughing, and his eyes were wild. And then he collapsed to the ground and died. It was quick."

"Did a Tranq see?" Flynn asks, pushing a mug of water into my hands.

"Yes," I say, taking a shaky sip of the water. "He recognised me and wanted me sent back to the palace, but I escaped."

"Did the man say anything?" Aston asks. He tugs at my wrist, urging me to sit down.

I sink into the cushion beside him. "He couldn't get a word in edgeways because he was coughing so much. But he spoke just before he collapsed. He said, 'Take me to Lord Sneya. I have something to tell him!' But I never got the chance to ask him what it was."

"I wish we knew what he wanted to tell Sneya," Flynn says, dark brows knitted together.

"You know what this means, though, right?" Ruben speaks up, chewing his bottom lip.

"Yes," I say. "The disease is spreading."

"Precisely," Ruben nods, glancing at me. "We need to deliver the vaccine to the Convex again. We cannot let the virus win."

"Flynn, they have vaccinated you, right?" I ask, averting my eyes to him.

Flynn nods. "I am a Concave, remember? They vaccinated me when I was born."

I mutter a curse under my breath. "We have to get Aston vaccinated first."

"I don't think that's important, Elle."

"Oh, don't be so noble, Aston." I glare at him. "You are my priority."

His brows furrow and opens his mouth to retort, but I interject, hit with a thought. "What if you are already immune, too?"

"I doubt it."

Someone knocks on the door. The sound causes a lump in my throat to form. What if that is the Tranq? Sneya's men will be on their way to us. But where else are we meant to hide?

"Who could that be?" I ask.

"Oh, I don't know. Why don't we open the door and see?" Ruben brushes past me, tossing me a smirk and I shoot him a glare.