Chapter 34

I do not know how many prisoners have escaped into the tunnels with us. Nor do I know how many we left behind. But I know one thing. We must get everyone out before the Tranqs block the passageways. I glance at Aston laying against the cold stone floor. His eyes stay closed, lips parted, chest rising and falling.

Ruben kneels in front of Aston's limp form, withdrawing the knife from his belt. He pulls off his shirt and cuts the material into a long strip. Ruben wraps the flannel around Aston's bullet wound at his hip, attempting to stem the blood flow. Ruben ties the tourniquet in a tight knot.

"Ajax, Killian, you take everyone back to their homes," I say, kneeling beside Aston too, willing away the panic clawing up my throat. I avert my gaze to Ruben. "Ruben, you go with them, I will meet you back at my apartment soon. You should help the others."

Ruben's brows knit together in a frown. "No. Flynn and I will go with you. You can't carry Aston back to your apartment all on your own."

I glance at Killian as Ajax ushers the grubby prisoners down the passageway. "We will be okay without him, Elle," Killian says. "You need Ruben and Flynn more than we do."

Blowing out my cheeks, I nod. "Good luck, Killian. And thank you so much for doing what you did for me tonight." I glance down at his bloodied leg. "I cannot even tell you how thankful I am."

"I'm glad your friend is okay, and that we got so many people out," he says.

Ajax swings back around, shouting words of encouragement over his shoulder to the prisoners as he grabs Killian around the waist. Ajax glances up at me, wide-eyed through the gloom. "You had better get moving, Elle."

They turn and retreat into the darkness of the corridor, disappearing within moments. Ruben's eyes train through the passageway for a beat before he looks at Aston. He uplifts his body from the concrete and slings him over his shoulder.

"Let's go," Ruben mutters, striding through the corridor. Flynn and I quicken our pace and follow him.

Killian is glad we got so many out of the cavern. But we left people. We could not save everyone. The Tranqs put our mission on hold, and as a result, innocent people have paid the ultimate price.

I know I must focus on the surviving prisoners and Aston. The echo of death's screams threaten to force me to my knees again. Although Aston's pale, unconscious face over Ruben's shoulder draws me back to my resolute determination to save him. I just hope that with Ruben's medical training, he will be okay.

The sharp slapping of an extra pair of boots against the concrete in the tunnel pulls us up short. They reverberate off the walls, picking up in volume as they approach.

In instinct, I draw my sword and step right in front of Ruben, Aston, and Flynn, poised to defend. The dark, broad frame of a lone Tranquillity patrolman materialises. In the dim light of Flynn's torch, I make out the Tranq's perplexed expression at the sight of us.

"Do my eyes deceive me?" he says, his mouth pulling into a cynical grin.

"Elle, get back," Ruben says through gritted teeth.

"What a sight! The Red Leaf, Lord Sneya's boy and a couple of stowaways." He sweeps his gaze over us. It lands on me.

"They are people. We need to help them," I bite back, gesturing to Aston. I step forward despite Ruben's protests.

"They are criminals," the Tranq corrects, waggling his finger at me as he too takes a step forward.

I move my sword forward, warning him to back off with a resolute scowl. "Get out of the way, Tranq."