Chapter 33

The dull moonlight from above helps me find Ruben's figure in the gloom. He reaches up and pulls the trapdoor back over the hole, engulfing us in darkness as we wait. Ruben pulls out his tiny pocket torch and flicks it on, only enough for me to trace his figure. Leaning against the wall of the tunnel, Ruben's hand finds mine, his fingers lacing with my own.

"We will get him, Elle," he whispers, squeezing my hand. I tilt my gaze to him, although I can just make out his sharp cheekbones in the gloom and the narrow torch beam glinting off his pale eyes. At that moment, I believe him.

They then draw the trapdoor back, light from above flooding in. I can hear Killian and Ajax bickering above for a few moments before Killian falls through, landing with a dull thud in the tunnel. He wipes his palms on his black pants, muttering a curse under his breath. Ajax follows him.

"Killian kicked over a trash can under Madam Saine's balcony," Ajax whines, throwing his hands in the air.

"I told you, Ajax," Killian hisses, letting out a harsh breath. "It was an accident."

"A stupid accident." Ajax shoulders past Killian, shaking his head. Ruben raises his brows before tugging me and we fall into step after him, content to let Ajax led us to the cavern.

Killian strays back for a few moments before I hear him huff indignantly and his footsteps trail behind.

"Are you still sour back there, Killian?" Ajax calls over his shoulder, tossing him a crude gesture.

"Fuck you, Ajax," Killian says from the rear and I stifle a laugh.

Ajax snorts, turning around with a smug grin on his face. "I suppose that answers my question."

We all laugh, but Killian still mutters curses under his breath. We fall silent for much of the trek through the tunnels, each lost in our own thoughts, knowing that our voices can carry through the tunnels. Ajax leads us through every twist and turn. He does not hesitate. He has memorised every tunnel in the network. The four of us soon arrive in the corridor where I first met Doctor Hatchman. Where he branded and whipped me. As we approach the door, my shoulders tense, my breath hitching in my throat. I can almost feel the agonizing burn of the iron against my flesh and the vicious sting of each lashing across my torso. I keep my head fixed forward; eyes trained with resolute determination on the tunnel ahead. I must not look. I must not look.

But I look.

My eyes flick to the mouldy wooden door. My hand flies to the back of my neck, fingers brushing over the leaf-shaped branding and tears spring to my eyes.

"Guys, wait," Ruben holds up a hand, stepping in front of me. He puts his hands on my shoulders and studies my face. "Are you okay, Elle?"

I bite down hard on my cheek, blinking the tears away. "Of course."

His brows knit together, his lower lip pulling between his teeth. "No, you're not."

"Wait, I'm sorry," Killian says, stepping forward with Ajax right beside him. "What's the matter?"

"It's none of your business, Killian," Ruben says, glaring at him.

"No, it's okay, Ruben," I say, turning to Killian and Ajax. "I met Doctor Cedric Hatchman in that room, the prime researcher for the Drown. Basically, he branded me with an iron rod."

"Branded you?" Ajax shuffles closer, peering at me.

I pull my braid over my shoulder and turn so they can see the prominent leaf-shaped scar marring the skin on the back of my neck. "They branded me. I am the Red Leaf."