Chapter 21

The ceiling is hardly an inch above my head. Ruben ducks his head and the stone walls are so narrow that we can only walk in single file. His torch beam does little to give us any light, but he seems to know where he is going as he leads me through. There are countless twists and turns, and at each one, I expect to rush into a Tranq. But somehow, all the Tranqs in this area seem above ground. No doubt at least half an hour has passed when my eyes, at last, catch a dim yellow light up ahead.

"There," Ruben whispers, his voice echoing off the stone as he points towards it.

He quickens his pace and I hurry to follow his long strides. There is a bulb, throwing yellow light down onto the wide black door. There is a fingerprint scanner by the door handle and a lock.

"The Tranqs usually enter by fingerprint, but there is also a key," he says, pulling it out of his pocket. He slides it into the lock, and it clicks as it twists. Ruben glances to the left and right, double-checking for any unwanted eyes, before shoving the door open and slipping in. I follow.

As he closes the door, the light flicks on, I find myself in Tranquillity headquarters. The room contains a living room with leather couches and a large projector television. There is a small kitchen on the opposite side of the room to the lounge. Deeper into the room are five bunk beds linings the walls. A door labelled Uniform and Weaponry catches my eye. Ruben and I pad to the door, passing the bunks, and as we do, we stop at a sudden snore.

My heart leaps to my throat. I rise onto my toes, peering at the top bunk. Deep in slumber, the Tranq snores and grunts.

Ruben mutters a curse, and I glare at him. If this Tranq wakes up, our entire plan will be in jeopardy. Pressing my finger to my lips in warning, I lower back to my heels and we slowly creep to the door with the uniform. Ruben eases the door open, and I cringe as it creaks on its hinges. We slip in and close the door behind us, flicking a light on.

I sigh in relief and Ruben slumps against the door. "That was close."

The room is larger than I thought it would be. Uniforms line the right wall, each item of clothing in separate sections. Weapons are on the left wall. The rifles and pistols align the shelves, and whips of varying sizes. On the far wall, to my amazement, are cases and cases of tranquil darts and syringes, each vial already filled with the serum. Ruben gets to work immediately, picking out black leather pants, jackets and bulletproof vests and black boots.

"Hopefully that all fits you, Elle. You are so small," Ruben muses, handing the clothing to me.

"Careful, I could beat your ass in a fight," I bite back, smirking.

"With your sword maybe, but without it, I could knock you out with my dazzling smile." Ruben grins extra wide just to prove it.

I cannot help the smile on my face, but I still roll my eyes. "Turn around so I can get changed."

"Turn around?"

"Yeah. Face the other wall."

He rolls his eyes and reluctantly spins around. Heat flushes my cheeks as I hastily change into the new clothing, feeling the difference between the professionally made leather pants and jacket. I shrug on the bulletproof vest.

Without even checking if it is okay with me, Ruben unbuttons his shirt, slipping it off. My eyes fall to his toned, chiselled torso and my cheeks burn. I tear my eyes away, and he smirks as he snatches the Tranq singlet and jacket from the floor, shrugging it on.

"Are you not going to turn around, Elle?" he asks as he loosens the belt around his waist.

Butterflies burst in my stomach and I spin around, cursing myself for letting him see me practically goggle at him. I step into the boots and yanks the laces tight. When he says I can turn back around, I want to slap the smirk that remains on his face. At last, he steps up to the weapons wall and picks out a whip for each of his. I grip its handle like it might jump at me, eyeing the coils of the weapon that ripped open Aston's back. I tuck it into my belt. Ruben then picks out a gun for each of us.