Chapter 38

The silence in the cavern is absolute, other than the rhythmic, echoing dripping of water in the distance. With no one in here, the cavern feels larger. Like it could swallow you whole, kicking and screaming. At the front of the group, Ajax pauses, spins around and gestures for the group to knit together tighter.

"Okay," he whispers. "Let's cross the cavern. I want you to pull out your weapons and prepare to fight. The Tranqs will do everything they can to defend Sneya and we must stop them."

Ajax averts his hardened gaze to me. "Elle, you want to find Sneya, right?"

"Yes." I withdraw my sword, tightening my grip over the handle.

"I will come with you, Elle," Ruben says.

"No." I shake my head firmly. "Ruben, I might have to do something awful. I don't want you to see it."

"I said I will come with you," Ruben says and I bite my cheek, feeling a jolt of annoyance.

"Alright," I say, my free hand balling in frustration. "I know where he might be."

The door at the far end of the cavern swings open, smacking against the stone wall. I whip around to see the Prime Tranquillity patrolman for the Convex Sector, Sir Fulton, march into the cavern. I hear the distinct sound of Aston withdrawing his sword and the shuffle of feet as people draw closer together.

Fulton plants himself some twenty feet away from us. "It is no surprise that Elle Fallon would be behind this pathetic uprising. But you will fail, Red Leaf. Your small group of weak criminals is no match for Lord Sneya's Tranquillity army, we will put you in your place."

Ruben silences him with an arrow, embedding itself in his chest cavity. He gasps instinctively, eyes widening, face draining of colour. His knees buckle beneath him and he falls heavily to the stone ground, body convulsing as he coughs up a wad of blood. He twitches and falls still.

I glance wildly at Ruben, who still holds the bow out. His eyes widen, as though he does not quite believe what he just did.

"Alright, we need to move!" Ajax orders, removing the safety of his gun.

We march forward, crossing the cavern. As we pass Fulton's body, Ruben yanks the arrow out of his chest, stowing it away. I stare at his bleeding, dead body until more Tranqs file in, crowding the cavern. Ajax draws to a halt and Aston pushes his way to the front, holding his blade out.

"Aston, get back," I say, but he ignores me, holding firm. So instead, I march forward, standing at the front.

"For God's sake, Elle!" Ruben snaps, stepping beside me, nudging me behind him.

Ajax lets out a low growl of frustration and plants himself up front again. "An army of Tranqs against a band of criminals is no fair match," Ajax grins, tightening his grip around the hilt of his dagger. "We will try to be gentler."

"Famous last words, traitor," barks the Tranq in the centre of the front, his lips curling into a snarl.

Then they break into a run, charging forward with whips, knives, swords, and guns.

"Do not move until I give the order, everyone!" Ajax shouts above the stampede of boots.

My heart thunders beneath my ribs as I tighten my grip around the sword, holding it out, poised, ready, and waiting.

The Tranqs draw closer.

Closer.

Closer.

"Now!"