25: "It's been a while."

Chapter 25 - "It's been a while."

(Sexual content in this chapter)

I stared at my phone despite being completely aware of the saying 'a watched phone never rings.' But surely he'd ring? Or text? Surely he'd send me some kind of message, despite the fact that we'd both said we didn't want to hear from each other? They were just words, said in the heat of the moment. I didn't mean them...I hoped he didn't mean them either. Many hours had passed since I'd left Nathan's flat, and even though I'd calmed down considerably, I was still sadder than I'd ever been.  

Nothing.  

Six hours later and still nothing.  

"Izzy?" Jack called from the other side of my door, knocking softly on it. "Are you awake?" 

I considered staying silent, fooling him into thinking I was asleep so that I could be left in peace. But what purpose would that serve? I'd only lie here continuing to worry.  

"Yeah," I called back.  

Jack pushed open my bedroom door and stepped gingerly inside. I'd been pretty hysterical when I'd got back to the flat earlier, and he was inevitably wary that I was a potential bomb about to go off.  

"How you feeling?" he asked, sitting down on the edge of my bed.  

I shrugged. "I thought he'd get in touch. He hasn't." 

"Well...have you messaged him?" 

"No." 

"Maybe he's waiting for you to get in touch." 

I sighed. "Jack, you're a guy. Tell me what's going through his head." 

"I don't know, Izzy. All I know is that Nathan absolutely adores you. You'll get through this." 

"You should have heard how he was talking to me, Jack. He was seriously pissed off."

"With all due respect, Izzy, I highly doubt you were being polite to him either." 

"Hm." 

"He was wound up and angry. In a twisted way, you're probably the only person in the world he'd talk to in that way, because you're the only person in the world who is able to draw that kind of emotion from him. That's the kind of power you have over someone who's madly in love with you." 

I sighed. "I know we said we wouldn't talk to each other tonight...but a small part of me was really hoping that he'd text..." 

"Maybe he just needs to calm down. If he's still mad then the last thing he's going to want to do is message you...he'll be worried that you'll just end up arguing again. Tomorrow's a fresh day and you can tackle the problem head on, with fresh outlooks on things." 

"I guess," I conceded.  

"Try and get some sleep. I know you're gonna be anxious about all this but trust me...it's just a blip. You'll come out of it stronger." 

"I hope so," I said quietly. 

Jack squeezed my hand before standing up. "You know where I am if you want late night cuddles." 

I smiled in appreciation, though I had the feeling this wasn't a flirty remark on Jack's part, but rather a genuine offer of comfort.  

"Thanks, Jack. You're a good friend." 

He winked. "Sleep well, Izzy." 

I hadn't expected to fall asleep instantly, but after half an hour of agonising, I felt myself beginning to drift off. I put it down to exhaustion and slept so deeply that I didn't even hear my phone go off.