31: "It's not fair on Nathan."

Chapter 31 - "It's not fair on Nathan."

[[Contains strong language and sexual content]]

**Dedicated to A20P20 because of her dedication to reading the previous chapter and the wonderfully long comment that she left at the end of it!**

The week dragged by. My argument with Jack had had an impact on my everyday life at university. I spent the evenings alone in my room because I couldn't spend them with him. The atmosphere in the flat was awkward as hell. I couldn't even escape from the flat because the only person I'd go to would be Pedro, and Jack's words were still fresh in my mind. Was I leading him on? I certainly wasn't doing it intentionally by any means. Maybe I didn't mention Nathan much, but that was only because our conversations revolved around university and work.

My calendar had become a countdown mechanism; each morning, I crossed off the previous day and watched as I got closer and closer to the Christmas holidays. It was strange to think that I'd been here for just three months. Such a lot had happened considering that three months ago I'd never met these people. But I guess that was uni for you.

On the flip side, I got essays completed quicker than ever. I was making a real effort to strengthen my friendship with Jess again, and I could at least distract myself with preparations for Christmas in Italy. That in itself was something to look forward to, and it was just what I kept focusing on. I really hoped that my issues with Jack would be sorted before we left for the Christmas holidays, but if they weren't then I was sure we could start afresh in the New Year.

"Izzy?" Shaun called from the other side of my door. "Can I come in?"

"Sure," I called back, spinning around on my chair to face him when he entered my room. "What's up?"

"Why's your door shut?" he frowned, kicking the doorstop back in front of it to prop it open.

I shrugged. "You can't deny it's a bit hostile in here these days. Sometimes I just prefer to sulk by myself," I smiled.

"Well, anyway, the lads are having a Christmas meal tonight and we want you in on it."

"Lads?"

"Yeah, you're like one of the lads anyway and...well...nobody really wants Hayley and Gemma there so let's keep it hush-hush, yeah?"

I nodded. "Sure. So what are we cooking?"

"Oh...well, erm, we were just gonna get Pizza Hut..."

"Pizza Hut is fine by me," I laughed. "Let me know what time and I'll be there."

He shot me a wink. "Good girl. We're probably gonna get it in for around six. What time is Nath arriving tomorrow?"

"It depends when he gets off work," I replied. "It'll probably be around seven."

"Okay, great. We're all looking forward to seeing him."

I forced a smile. Normally Jack would be excited to see Nathan, but would that have changed now? I hoped not. I hoped Nathan would be able to repair some of the damage. And even if he couldn't, I didn't want Jack's issues with me to get in the way of their budding friendship.

When I mentioned a similar thing to Jess later that afternoon, however, she had a different opinion.

"I think that might make stuff even worse," she said over Skype. "Just imagine, he would be stuck in the middle. It's not fair on Nathan."

"Yeah, but I doubt this thing between Jack and me will last forever," I replied. "And I don't want it to affect his friendship with Nathan in the meantime."