42: "Happy Valentine's Day."

Chapter 42 -  "Happy Valentine's Day."

**Dedicated to LogInGirl who doesn't normally read new people's work but decided to take a chance on me (thank you!). I love that people can relate to this story, and apparently my writing has provided her with advice on how to handle certain situations - utterly amazing feeling.**

[[Contains sexual content]]

Valentine's Day: a day of romance, or a day of commercialism?  

I'd only ever had two boyfriends, but they'd both had completely differing opinions regarding the purpose of Valentine's Day. I can still remember how I'd felt during my very first Valentine's Day in a relationship. For years, it had been a day I'd dreaded, reinforcing how another year had passed and yet I was still single. I'd watch as boys would shower their girlfriends with gifts and treat them like princesses; passionate displays of affection would take place in the corridors and nobody would be able to make snide comments because, after all, it was Valentine's Day.  

Then Matt and I got together. For the weeks leading up to February 14th, I could barely contain my excitement. Finally I would be able to experience a real Valentine's Day. Knowing that Matt wasn't overly romantic anyway, I was even more excited to see him spoil me, assuming that he'd make an exception and step up to the role of a doting boyfriend. For one day of the year, I'd get to experience true romance and public displays of affection, just like everyone else. In hindsight, the fact that I was so excited to see Matt's romantic side should have been a warning.  

When Valentine's Day rolled around, I'd headed to school with a spring in my step. Jess and Alex were fawning all over each other, being more affectionate than usual, so I'd headed straight over to Matt's table. To my dismay, he barely acknowledged me as I sat down beside him. In fact, he didn't even lift his eyes from the card game.  

"I bet it sucks to be Matt's girlfriend today, huh?" Jimmy had asked me with an amused smirk.  

"What do you mean?" I frowned.  

"Oh, just because he doesn't believe in Valentine's Day," Jimmy replied. "He thinks it's a commercial event with the sole purpose of generating money." 

"Shut up, you dick," Matt smirked, but he didn't deny it.  

My heart sank. I'd spent so long looking forward to not just my first Valentine's Day, but also a day where Matt could be more romantic towards me without feeling uncomfortable. Then, as it happened, his attitude towards the most romantic day of the year had turned out to be just as unromantic as him.  

Although it broke my heart at the time, it did mean that my next Valentine's Day - with Nathan last year - absolutely blew me away. He pulled out all the stops, knowing that it would be my first proper Valentine's Day, and wanting to make it special for me.  

After everything that had happened this year, and after realising just how insecure Nathan still was about our relationship, I wanted to be the one who pulled out for the stops for him. I had no doubt that he'd do something romantic for me - he was already treating me to dinner in the evening - but I still wanted to show him just how much he meant to me.  

When I thought back to earlier on in the year, when we'd celebrated our anniversary, I could recall how desperate I was to show romance towards Nathan. This time was different, however; I wasn't desperate to prove my worth as a girlfriend, but rather I wanted to make him feel as special as he made me feel.  

Knowing that we'd be going out to dinner in London, I'd secretly booked us a hotel room for that night. It would undoubtedly surprise Nathan but I had no doubt he'd love it. On the South Bank of the Thames, the suite had a balcony that overlooked the Houses of Parliament as well as a huge king-sized bed and a luxurious bathroom made out of marble. It was extravagant and luxurious, but I'd wanted to make this a Valentine's Day that he remembered, just like he'd done for me last year.