12

Mark

I wake up the next morning panicking, I feel like I am being watched.

"Just a nightmare, it's not real." I say to reassure myself and turn to my side.

In an instant I catch a whiff of my comforter, a slight hint of cologne and something else that made me smile, Jackson. Last night's memories played like a movie in my head, all the sinful touches and kisses, all right here in my bed. My heart begins to beat at the thought. I quickly search the bed for my phone, in which it was lodged somewhere between the bed and the wall. I unlock the screen to check for any missed calls or messages, surprisingly none, but Charisma's smiling face was the first thing to pop up. I could feel my smile slowly starting to fade away. I let out a sad sigh and stood up. Who even knows what time I fell asleep last night or why I continue to suffocate myself with images and memories of her. Why can't I just get over her? I stretch and let out a sleepy yawn and head down stairs to the kitchen. The house phone rings and I answer it sleepily.

"Tuan household. Mark speaking, if you are looking for Mrs. Tuan she is out on a business trip sorry." I say yawning between almost every word.

"That's cute. I just wanted to speak to you for a little while." The person on the other end responds and I feel a chill down my spine and my blood turn cold.

"Junior! What do you want?" I scream softly and my voice cracks, and an anxious churning sensation erupts in my stomach.

"Besides you? A better place to live, a new car, an A in Physics...not too much to ask for honestly." He responds with a dark chuckle and I hang up the phone quickly.

A second later it rang again.

"Stop!" I yell into the receiver and my heart beats against my chest.

"Stop? Are you okay Marky? Did you eat breakfast yet? Drink some orange juice, I bought some the other day." My mother's soothing voice responded in a quiet tone and made everything seem okay.

"I'm fine, I just got up and heard the phone ringing and I wanted it to stop." I say with a forced chuckle and she laughs.

"I'm making breakfast now," I say while opening the fridge "pancakes and eggs...maybe bacon I guess." I say while grabbing various ingredients and setting them out on the counter.

"Okay. Make sure you take some medicine if you start to feel pain or anything. I love you, get some rest dear." She responds hurriedly, perhaps to get back to work.

"I love you too, see you soon." I say and she hangs up. I put the phone back and turn the stove on and start to set out ingredients.

No milk, well not enough for the pancake mix. Luckily the grocery store was nearby, but it means I'll have to wait to cook. I turn the stove off and head upstairs to my bedroom and turn on the light and search for something to throw on.

Hoodie, check.

Sweats, check.

Shoes, check.

I look for money in my wallet and found 10 dollars, which is more than enough for milk. I head back down stairs and grab the keys to the house and walk outside and lock the door. The beautiful we call the sun painted the morning sky with hues of pinks and lavenders. I shield my eyes from the bright lights and continue walking down the sidewalk. I make my way into the busy store and head down the frozen aisle. A pretty girl and a guy, who seemed to be her boyfriend, blocked the doors to the dairy section and prevented me from getting the milk.

"Just buy the chocolate milk for Danny! Buying regular milk and chocolate syrup is a waste of money!" The guy says to the girl and she shakes her head violently.