BestFriend

Chance

I leaned up against the locker waiting for Kehlani to show up so we could walk to math class together.

It usually doesn't take her this long to get here, so I wonder what's keeping her today?

Lord knows Mr. McBain don't play when it comes to students being tardy.

Whatever, I shrugged it off. I'm sure she's fine.

I waited a few more minutes for her, and she still didn't show?

Where is she?

I decided to go ahead and look for her. The bell rang and the halls were empty.  I was walking down the hall past some bathrooms when I heard someone crying.

I doubled back and peeked into the girls bathroom.

It was Kehlani.

"Lani?" I said running into the girls bathroom. "Lani! What's wrong? Talk to me."

She was beyond hysterical. She couldn't stop crying. There's only one person I knew that could make her cry like that.

Jahron.

I hate that nigga, with a passion. He's been fucking Lani over for the past two years now.

He'll be sweet one minute, and putting her through hell the next.

That nigga better be lucky he don't go to our school, because if he did I would've been fought his ass.

"C-Chance..." Lani chocked out, "Jahron is dead."

My eyes grew wide.

How?

I mean I didn't like that nigga, but lord knows I didn't want nothing bad to happen to him.

"What happened Lani?"

"It happened last night. The drug game caught up with him. They shot him." She said.

"No wonder he didn't text me back last night. His mom just told me right now. He tired to hold on, but he couldn't hang on much longer. He died this morning. This is all my fault. I should've done more to get him out of that life."

"Lani," I spoke softly, "I'm so sorry, I truly am, but you need to know this is nowhere near your fault."

"I'm loosing it Chance. I don't know what to do." She wept.

It broke my heart to see her in so much pain. I love Kehlani more than anything in the world.

That's my bestfriend, and I'd do anything to mend her broken heart.

"I can't go to class Chancelor. I just can't." Kehlani wept even harder.

"We don't have to. We're not going to." I said sternly.

Kehlani and I snuck out to the P.E field and hopped the fence to head back to her house.

Security at our school was forreal lacking, so I wasn't worried about us getting caught.

I walked Kehlani to her house. The walk there was completely silent. I couldn't read her.

"Alright Chance, I'll see you later." Kehlani said as she tried to walk into her apartment building.

"Wait a minute," I said gently grabbing her arm, "you think I'm gonna leave you by yourself so you can do some wild shit? Nah. I'm coming in too."

"You're lucky my auntie not home." She said weakly while stepping aside and letting me in the building.