Promise Me

"Chancelor!" I screamed at the top of my asthmatic lungs, "give it back! I swear to God you play too fucking much, give it back."

"Or what?" He rebutted smugly, backing me into the corner of the gymnasium, "just what is yo lil ass gone do?"

The gym was vacant aside from Chance and I. Tension was building up. My back was literally against the wall, and I knew that I had no options left.

The heat was taking over the both of us. I had been fighting that heat for months now, but with him two centimeters away from my face I couldn't cool down, nor could I deny it any longer.

"This," I said quickly before grabbing his face and ramming my lips into his.

Our tongues fought for dominance in each other's mouths.

I felt him press himself against me harder and harder by the second, slowly cutting off my oxygen which made me feel even higher than our kissing did.

After about a minute, he pulled himself out of my grip.

"Kehlani what the fuck!" He yelled, "you know I got a fucking girlfriend!"

"Last time I checked you were dating the school hoe. That bitch is the community girlfriend; You better recognize."

"She said she dropped everybody for me," Chance defended his girlfriend and her trampy ways.

Him going to the ends of the earth to defend that bitch made me have respect for him.

A real man always protects his woman at all costs.

"You know I just don't want to see you hurt Chance. I want this shit to work out for you, but she's just not taking you serious," I said trying to get him to stop looking through the rose colored glasses he wore whenever it came to her unfaithful ways .

"Lani you can stop worrying about me," he spat out of frustration, "I can handle my own shit alright?"

"No, I'm not gonna let you sell yourself short like this. She's bullshit and you know it! She talks to everybody! Always getting drunk and fucking niggas that ain't you at all the parties. She ran through the whole football team, and now that basketball season is quickly approaching, you can bet your bottom dollar she's gonna run through all the basketball players too!"

"Well it's a good thing I tried out for the basketball team this year isn't it?" Chance said smugly.

At that point, I just stared at him in disbelief.

"Chance what the fu-"

"Kehlani STOP!" He shouted at me. I could see the anger in his eyes, but right behind it I could see the sadness that plagued him as well.

"Can't you see that she's best it's ever gonna get for me?! Like don't you understand there's no one else who would give me the time of day like she has?"

I stood there, in his presence, speechless.

"I'm a fucking loser," he wept angrily, "that's just the truth. I barely have any friends, I'm poor as fuck, and I get beat up almost everyday by popular niggas for fun. What girl in her right mind would want to waste her time on me?"

Instantly, my heart broke. I witnessed the most beautiful, kind, selfless, soul I know degrade himself so effortlessly.

My soul ached knowing that he felt this way constantly for so long.

"Who am I?" I spoke weakly.

"What?" He said in confusion.

"I said, who am I?"

"Kehlani Ashley Parrish."

"That's true, but I'm also your best friend/ Ex-girlfriend."

"You don't count," he snapped back.

"Why the fuck not?"

"Because you felt sorry for me! That's the only reason why you've ever done anything remotely close to intimate with me."

"Yo, are you serious right now?" I said getting loud.

"I'm deadass," he said back looking me straight into my eyes.

I threw down the basketball that was resting in my hands and walked up to him.

"Chance I love you. You should know me better. I don't do shit for anybody because I feel sorry for them. How could you even think for a second that I pitty you, so that's why I dated you? You really wanna know why I dated you?"

Chance remained quiet, staring down at the gym floor, awaiting my response.

"I dated you because I thought you were the coolest person to walk through these high school halls. I dated you because your smile is so infectious, and your poetry is so enticing. You're so cute when you talk about your passions and dreams. I live to hear your laugh and see you prosper. You're so gentle with the way you love someone. Your touch is so comforting," I wrapped my arms around his torso and looked up into his glossy eyes, "Chance, I love you..please.. please j-just try and see what I see."

We looked into each other's eyes.

"I'm so stupid," he mumbled.

"Chance don't say tha-"

"No, I'm so stupid," he insisted. "I'm too dumb realize what I have right in front of me...literally."

"Kehlani," he continued, "I'm sorry I took you for granted. I can't imagine how you felt being so overlooked by me. I never meant to make you feel like I don't care about you because I care for you deeply. I just, felt like you were just feeling sorry for me, so I pushed you away out of anger," he confessed.

"Forgive me?" He cooed in that cute voice that I had no choice but to forgive.

"I forgive you," I said "but, you have to promise me something."

"Like?"

"You can never, ever degrade yourself the way you did just a few minutes ago. You're so much more than that Chancelor, and I'm gonna make you see that if it's the last thing I do," I said.

"Okay," he replied agreeing to my conditions.

"And you have to ditch that lil bitch Robyn,"

"Okay," he replied again.

"Promise me?"

"I promise," he spoke real low so I only I could hear him.

We held each other until the gym lights automatically went off.

"Uh Lani, how long have we been in here?" Chance asked.

"Not that long," I said while walking back to the bleachers to search my bag for my phone
so I could check the time.

"Kehlani," Chance said again, "the exit is locked."

"Fuck," was all I could say until my eyes met with Chance's and we bursted into an uncontrollable laughter.

"I'll call coach," Chance said as he pulled out his phone.

"Yeah, you do that," I smiled.