Chapter 2 - And We Meet Again

Are you serious?? Goa bhi koi apni family ke saath jata hai??

These were the exact words of Iru when she heard about our family vacation to Goa. It might sound a little odd to some but we liked to go on family vacations every year for a change and some fresh family bonding and we had been religiously following this regime since the last 7 years. We had been to various parts of India and every time it was an awesome experience. I loved traveling, exploring different places, their culture, the history were always perks for me during such trips. I wanted to go Kodiakanal this year but my stupid brother Rishab had to pester all of us to shift the plan to Goa. Apparently some useless friend of his went there and had a blast so at the last moment Appa gave into his rants and fake warnings of a hunger strike and we had to settle for Goa.

I was done with my final semester exams and had a month's break before the final project submission and vacation was a great idea. Although Iru wanted me to come with her to her place but I couldn't refuse my family so had to decline her invitation. The plan was Mom, Appa and Rishab would come down from Delhi to Pune and then we will travel together to Goa. I was more or less ready; my family would be there the next morning and I had to meet them directly at the airport.

I was in the last bit of my arrangements when Iru came to see me in my room.

"Hey Nan's so you are all set for tomorrow", Iru thumped and spread herself on my bed quite comfortably.

"Yes almost there..I need to recheck thrice..in case I have left something behind", I looked for the minimal make up items that I would take with me for the trip.

"Bas itna?? Nan's you need to pick more of makeup and hotter dresses..you are forgetting tu Goa ja rahi hai Tirupati nahi", she mocked me in her typical overpowering tone as she saw me picking only a few items.

"And in case you are forgetting that I am going with my family not with my boyfriend"

She burst out laughing as if I had slid ice cubes in her T shirt and her giggles seriously irritated me. It was a clear signal that Ms. Nandini Murthy you are not programmed to have a boyfriend ever. I knew I was a little boring in comparison to others of my age because I didn't choose to be a part of the mad spree but that didn't mean I was a complete dud. Had she heard about my first kiss instance I am sure her tongue would have touched the ground out of utter shock but it was still a secret which was restricted only to me and that heavenly handsome guy. I bet he wouldn't even remember me and I could never manage to forget him. I could still feel the warmth of his lips on mine even after 6 months. If first kisses are memorable then mine was one heck of a memory. I thanked my stars that I shared it with no one especially Iru or else half of the college would have come to know about it and more than that she would have made sure that she dug out the guy from any corner of the world.

Suddenly I was zapped out of my thoughts as she clicked her fingers right in front of my nose.

"What?? Where are you lost?? Dreaming about your dream man??", she again broke into fits of laughter irritating me more.

I didn't have the inclination to deal with her silly sense of humor just at that hour and I got busy cleaning the mess on my bed when my phone rang. I went to the study table to attend it. It was Mom calling and I picked it up not knowing that I was going to react hysterically in the very next minute.

"What?? Mom really?? What nonsense is this now?? No please", I snarled at her rigging my fingers impatiently.

"Nandu I am sorry beta kya karen..suddenly your Dad has to attend this conference..it was going to be done by somebody else but then that person is fighting Dengue now and your Appa has to fill up for him..there is nothing that he can do about it...it is just three days conference baby..we promise to join you on the 4th day", Mom tried to be very calm and helpless.