Chapter 15 - It is Time

There was a grim sort of a silence in the Officer-in-charge's cabin. Appa and Mom were anxiously waiting for the officer to put the receiver down and talk to them. After a good 5 minutes of talking over the phone, the officer put it down and looked at Appa and heaved a distressing sigh.

"Mr. Murthy..there is some information...there was a shootout at an apartment near the Pulawa market at around 3 in the afternoon and reportedly 9 people including an old couple have been killed..the flat belonged to the couple and on further investigation it has been reported that the old man worked in a motel down town as a manager and on enquiring with the staff they admitted that two of their guests one boy and a girl had beaten them up badly for the managers address...so we can conclude that maybe they only killed the couple but then there were other men with arms as well...most have been identified with criminal records... we are still trying to get to the bottom of it"

"But what has Nandini got to do with it...how my daughter is involved in this", Mom asked in a clueless tone.

"Mrs. Murthy we had information that your daughter was seen around that area and so we showed the pictures of Manik and Nandini to the staff for identification and they have verified that they were the ones who had beaten them up but strangely the motel records say that they had checked in as some Mr.& Mrs. Duggal"

"What??", Mom and Appa say in unison unable to digest that we had lied to stay there that too as a couple.

"Yes she was with Manik..willingly", he stressed on the last word.

"No..no that cant be true...my daughter cannot be involved in this,...please officer..I beg of you"

"Relax Mrs. Murthy...I know you are very stressed..please give us time we are very close to the truth"

"I can't wait anymore officer...I just want my daughter...I don't know how you get her but I just want to see her safe and sound in front me"

"Dont worry about that Sir..we have finally taken the call..Manik and Nandini's pictures have been circulated in all the police stations..we are also seeking help from media..we will have them soon"

***

I was trying to read his eyes that had hardly looked into mine since I confessed my love to him again. Yes in about 3 days time I had confessed the second time to him, where the first time was out of more of frustration because I was not being able to deal with his ignorance and indifference to me the second time it was more out of fear of losing him and a sort of a submission. As if I knew he wouldn't say no, as if I was sure even he loved me, as if I wanted to assure him that I will be there come what may, as if I was ascertaining myself that it was HIM only him there for me. The moments, the minutes, the hours yes the only few ones when I couldn't listen too his voice, when his eyes weren't watching me, when my body was bereft of his touches, a strange fear had engulfed me. I had grown addicted to him and the mere thought of him not being there choked me to death. I constantly gaped at his face while the doctor was checking his bandage and Manik was trying hard to not look at me.

"Amm..don't stress it much..you will need proper rest to recuperate fast and take these pain killers..in case it pains during the nights..have one..okay", she instructed handing a pills strip to him. Manik thanked her and tried to stand up from the chair that he was sitting and suddenly he felt a severe strain around the injured area. I quickly grabbed his hand to lend him support and his eyes stopped at mine.

"I can walk now..by myself", he said looking at my hand which were still grabbing him by his arms. I hesitated a little and left him briskly. This awkwardness was brewing more due to the silence. I don't know what I felt like exactly after having confessed my love to him and getting all cold reactions from him but it was somewhat a sort of humiliating. It was really, being the righteous and self loving girl that I was it really hurt me to have absolute zero reaction from him.