Prologue

Tigerclaw stood on the Highrock overlooking the clan. In the center of the clearing, Bluestar and Fireheart's bodies rested side by side. The intimidating dark tabby tom leaped down from the Highrock and dipped his head in mourning.

"Fireheart betrayed our clan's trust. He killed Bluestar, but he also destroyed a small part of ourselves." Tigerclaw raised his head high as the clan looked to him for direction. "But I solemnly swear that I will avenge Bluestar's death. Fireheart has proven that kittypets do not belong in our world."

"Anyone who shows even the slightest amount of disloyalty will be executed." With a flick of his tail, Longtail and Darkstripe dragged Cloudpaw from the crowd. The clan screamed in an uproar.

Whitestorm stood out as the voice of reason. "Tigerclaw, you can't kill Cloudpaw, he's done nothing wrong!"

"He shares Fireheart's blood, he was born a kittypet and that makes him a traitor." Tigerclaw pulled his lips back in a fierce snarl. "Kill him."

"No!" Sandstorm tried to throw herself in between the two warriors and the helpless apprentice. Darkstripe hit Sandstorm across the face with unsheathed claws, sending her tumbling into the dirt. Immediately, Sandstorm stood up, ready to retaliate.

Whitestorm blocked the young she-cat's path. "No, Sandstorm. Tigerclaw will kill you if you get in his way."

"I can't let them kill Cloudpaw!" Sandstorm snarled. "No matter what Tigerclaw says, Fireheart was not a traitor!"

Tigerclaw appeared and smacked Sandstorm with his paw. "Never repeat that name, unless you would disgrace Bluestar?"

Sandstorm stared into Tigerclaw's eyes, and there she found the eyes of a predator, a killer. She held his stare for a few heartbeats before she lowered her head. "Yes, Tigerclaw."

Tigerclaw gave Darkstripe the signal and Sandstorm watched as Darkstripe slit Cloudpaw's throat. She watched the white apprentice's fur stain red and crimson droplets fell onto the dirt. Cloudpaw collapsed and the clan wailed in despair.

Then, Tigerclaw proceeded to leap onto Highrock. "I am the leader of ThunderClan now, but I've made a decision. We will no longer be called ThunderClan. Our strong clan deserves a more powerful name, one that will make our enemies quake in fear. We will be called TigerClan."