Chapter 17

Stormpaw snored softly as he slept while Featherpaw made no sound at all. Just outside her den, Hopepaw could hear the sound of crickets chirping and a gentle breeze whistling through the trees. She could hear the stream that encircled the camp as it ran over smooth stones. Night had long ago fallen, but she needed to be sure the entire camp was asleep before she left.

Hopepaw turned onto her other side and let out a long sigh. Her paws were itching to run and she wondered who would be waiting for her. She lifted her head and glanced behind her to where Stormpaw and Featherpaw slept. Neither of them noticed when she got up and slipped out of the den.

The camp was silent as most everyone was sleeping, but Hopepaw noticed the dark shape of Blackclaw who guarded the camp entrance. She flattened her ears and slunk to the edge of the clearing to hide in the shadows. How was she supposed to leave the camp without Blackclaw noticing? She could sneak out through the dirtplace... Her nose wrinkled at the thought, but it might be her only option.

Hopepaw crept through the darkness and disappeared into the dirtplace. She held her breath while she crawled underneath the camp wall. Once she was free, she shook her pelt of any sand and stepped into the river. Hopepaw actually allowed her pelt to soak so that she could wash away her scent-she couldn't be found out.

Then she crawled up the opposite bank and headed deeper into RiverClan territory. She kept her senses alert for any RiverClan cats that might be on a midnight stroll or hunt. Hopepaw stayed in the shadows and moved at a brisk pace through the thin undergrowth.

Her sense of direction stayed true as she continued walking. The forest was alive with the sights and sounds of little nocturnal animals. She wished that she could stop and hunt, but she pressed on. Eventually, the trees started to thin and the ground became damp. Up ahead, she could hear the river.

Hopepaw slid down a gradual decline towards the riverbank. She stopped once she reached the river and sniffed the air. There were no cats following her, she had made sure of that. Although Graystripe has been training her relentlessly to swim, she opted for the fallen log as her point of crossing.

The log was as slippery as before but, this time, Hopepaw was prepared. She dug her claws into the wood as she slowly inched her way across. The bank neared and Hopepaw leaped for the bank as soon as she could.

She headed to Sunningrocks which is where she was supposed to meet someone. The sounds of the forest welcomed her home and she relaxed a little bit. Hopepaw didn't realize how much she missed the forest until now and it pained her to realize that she would need to leave again.

Pale against the shadows, moonlight lit up Sunningrocks. Hopepaw trotted out of the forest and leaped onto the rocks. She arched her back and let out a yawn. While she waited, Hopepaw wondered who it would be to meet her. It could be Darkstripe since he was deputy, or one of the advisors. Or maybe it was Tigerstar himself.

From behind her, a twig snapped. Hopepaw jumped to her paws and spun around to face whatever threat awaited her. She flattened her ears and peered into the darkness. From the shadows came a pale ginger she-cat. Sandstorm!

Hopepaw leaped down from the rocks and rubbed against her mother's chest. Her purring was so loud and she couldn't contain her happiness. Even though it had only been two days, she missed her mother dearly. She couldn't wait to ask Sandstorm about Owlpaw and Maplepaw! But first, she had important business to discuss.

"How have you settled in?" Sandstorm asked Hopepaw with a purr.

Hopepaw answered with glowing green eyes. "They've accepted me openly into their clan and they've no idea. I've already received a mentor and have been learning to swim and fish." She tested her mother to see how she would react.

Sandstorm tipped her head. "Oh, really? Who's your mentor?"

Hopepaw hesitated and then lifted her green eyes to her mother's. "Graystripe..."

Sandstorm blinked her green eyes and then narrowed them. "How has that been going? Has he been pleasant?"

Hopepaw growled with frustration. She didn't want to beat around the bush! She wanted an answer now!

"Mother, I know the truth!" Hopepaw snapped. Sandstorm gave her a confused look and so she took a deep breath. "I know that Graystripe is my father."

Sandstorm stared at her for the longest time and it felt as if the world had faded away to leave only them behind. The pale ginger she-cat looked unnerved and opened her mouth to speak but no words came out. Finally, she managed to answer. "Hopepaw, let me explain. You need to understand that we didn't intend to have kits-"

"So are you saying that Owlpaw, Maplepaw, and I are mistakes?!" Hopepaw growled, anger burning in her green eyes.

"No!" Sandstorm growled. "We bonded over the death of Fireheart because Graystripe was his best friend and...well, I loved Fireheart. But Fireheart wasn't a traitor!"

"I already know this," Hopepaw snapped. "Graystripe told me." Her stomach twisted and her heart ached with hurt. "Why didn't you ever tell us that Graystripe was our father?"

"Because, it was too dangerous." Sandstorm lower her voice and flattened her ears. "Graystripe was considered a traitor in the clan, hated by Tigerstar, and from a different clan. I wanted you and your littermates to live a normal life without the truth weighing you down."

"We could've handled it!" Hopepaw shouted, "I could have handled it!" She sat down and lowered her head, completely shut down. Hearing it from Graystripe had been surreal, but hearing it from her own mother made it more real and more painful.

Sandstorm touched her nose to Hopepaw's forehead. "I know, Hopepaw. I made a mistake, but you and your littermates are anything but a mistake. I love you, Owlpaw, and Maplepaw so much! If I could turn back time I wouldn't change a thing."

Suddenly, Hopepaw's expression became cold, hardened. "If you could turn back time, would you choose Fireheart?"

At this, Sandstorm's eyes became sad. She hesitated, "Hopepaw-"

"No, don't speak." Hopepaw sat up straighter and squared her shoulders. "Tell Tigerstar that I'll meet someone else here in a quarter moon. I'll have more information for him then."

With that said, Hopepaw turned her back on her mother and disappeared into the shadows. She raced away from Sunningrocks and leaped onto the fallen log. She crossed it quicker than before. When she glanced over her shoulder, she saw that Sandstorm was watching her with a sad expression.

Hopepaw walked away.