Chapter 30

"I trusted you!" Crookedstar snarled, baring his fangs at her. Tigerstar stills held him down beneath razor sharp claws. Crookedstar choked out his next words. "I welcomed you into RiverClan and treated you like a clanmate!"

Crookedstar's words stung no matter how Hopeflame viewed them. She was about to speak when Tigerstar interrupted her. "Hopeflame, it's time that you proved your loyalty for good. Kill him." Tigerstar motioned towards Crookedstar who stood cornered at the back of his den.

Hopeflame's eyes met Crookedstar's, and she wished with all her heart that he could see how sorry she was. She lunged at him and pinned him down. Hopeflame had overheard Mudfur talking with Leopardfur the other day about how Crookedstar only had one life left. This was it.

Her fangs dug into his throat and she held him down with her strong claws. Crookedstar struggled and tried shoving her off. Hopeflame got up and watched as his crimson blood stained the den floor. Blood gurgled from his lips and his eyes suddenly glazed over. Crookedstar was dead.

Brambleclaw nuzzled Hopeflame's side. "I'm proud of you."

Tigerstar turned to them, "Let's join the battle." He raced out of the den and Hopeflame watched as he leaped onto Stonefur.

Hopeflame froze and took in the sight. The RiverClan cats were horribly outnumbered and confused. Leopardfur, Blackclaw, and Stonefur were desperately trying to hold back the wave of TigerClan warriors at the entrance. Stormblaze was glued to Featherstream's side as they fought Swiftwind and Longtail.

Blood completely covered the ground and screams filled the night air. A deep chill settled over the camp and Hopeflame could see her breath. The RiverClan cats fought bravely but Hopeflame knew there was no hope.

"Fight alongside me, Hopeflame," Brambleclaw murmured.

Hopeflame slowly nodded. Brambleclaw was the only constant in this confusing mess she saw before her. She couldn't recognize who were her clanmates and who weren't. She's spent so much time in RiverClan that her loyalties have been blurred.

Brambleclaw charged and knocked into Leopardfur. Hopeflame followed his lead and leaped at Blackclaw. The black tom spun around claws unsheathed and his eyes widened when he recognized her. "Hopefl-" She didn't let him finish. Her claws raked him across the face and she snarled.

Blackclaw returned the blow and they were soon fighting for dominance. Hopeflame ripped Blackclaw's ears to shreds. Blackclaw snapped at her, grabbing her neck fur between his fangs. She slipped free and lunged. He tried to dodge her attack but Hopeflame leaped onto his back and bit into his throat.

The large tom reared back and crushed her beneath him. He sauntered over, tail lashing in rage. Just before he could claw at her exposed belly, Brambleclaw cut him off, snarling at Blackclaw. Hopeflame watched as the two toms balanced on their back legs to aim unsheathed claws at the other's face. Her heart clenched but Hopeflame ignored it.

She dived at Blackclaw, aiming for his tendons. He stumbled which gave Brambleclaw enough time to pin him down and take control. Hopeflame's eyes frantically searched the battlefield. She wasn't sure who she was looking for.

Blood covered the ground and some cats were slipping in it. The smell of open wounds made Hopeflame's nose wrinkle. She recognized the light brown tabby pelt of her brother, Owlgaze. He was struggling with the superior weight of Heavystep.

Hopeflame raced across the battlefield, diving and dodging cats and bodies. She reached her brother's side and hissed at Heavystep, clawing him right across the eye. Owlgaze glanced at her and smirked. He obviously was happy to have her at his side.