Chapter 4

Hopekit watched the clan prepare to leave for the Gathering. Tigerstar stood at the front with Darkstripe and Longtail at his side. The other warriors milled around them, whispering to each other. She noticed that Ashpaw and Fernpaw looked slightly out of place, but she imagined they were excited to be going.

"I wish I was going with them." Sorrelpaw sighed as she sat beside Hopekit.

"Me too," Hopekit agreed. "Have you seen any cats from other clans?" She imagined they must appear so much more intimidating face to face.

Sorrelpaw nodded, "Yes, but only glimpses on patrols."

Sorrelpaw's brothers, Sootpaw and Rainpaw, padded over to join them. "Hi Hopekit," Rainpaw meowed.

"Hi Rainpaw," Hopekit sighed. "I wish I could be an apprentice already. I'm about four moons old," Hopekit growled in frustration. Then she got an idea. "Maybe you could show me a few battle moves?" Hopekit suggested to the three apprentices.

"Me too!" Owlkit appeared at the mere mention of battle. "I want to learn how to fight!"

"You have to wait until you're an apprentice." Sootpaw reminded them. "Besides, shouldn't you be off to your nests?"

Hopekit sighed, crestfallen. "So?"

She turned around to return to the nursery as night started to befall the camp. Owlkit followed her inside where they found Sandstorm curled around Maplekit. "She couldn't sleep," Sandstorm told her two kits.

Hopekit studied her sleeping sister. "Why can't we be apprentices yet?" She asked Sandstorm.

"Actually, I have good news regarding that." Sandstorm purred. "Tomorrow, you and Owlkit will be named apprentices."

Hopekit squealed with excitement and bounced around. "Did you hear that Owlkit! We're going to be apprentices!" But suddenly, she realized something. "What about Maplekit?"

Sandstorm's green eyes filled with sadness. "Tigerstar says she's not healthy enough to be an apprentice, at least not yet. She'll be named in a half moon or so."

Hopekit hesitated. "Have you told her?" She motioned to sleeping Maplekit.

Sandstorm nodded her pale ginger head. "Yes, she knows. She didn't take the news very well."

"Now I feel bad..." Hopekit muttered, lowering her head with guilt.

Owlkit didn't pause a moment to think about Maplekit. "Don't feel bad," Owlkit huffed. "We're going to be apprentices!"

Hopekit smiled, unable to hide her excitement despite the circumstances. "I'll make you proud, mother."

Sandstorm purred, nuzzling Hopekit. "I know you will, Hopekit."

Hopekit settled in the nest beside Owlkit. Her heart was light and she dreamed about being a warrior. She saw herself fighting in battle, hunting lots of prey, and exploring the forest. Tomorrow couldn't come soon enough.

~

When Hopekit emerged from the nursery, she heard the clamor of her clanmates conversing with one another. Something important was happening, perhaps something from the Gathering the night before? She dashed over to Bramblepaw and Tawnypaw, hoping that they might know something.

"What happened last night?" She whispered.

"Tigerstar asked ShadowClan for land, but Blackstar refused him. Then Tigerstar ordered TigerClan to attack! They returned with a ShadowClan apprentice as hostage until ShadowClan agrees to Tigerstar's conditions!" Tawnypaw explained rapidly and excitedly.