Chapter 26

It was the second morning after her visit to TigerClan and she woke early to swim. She needed to clear her head and surprisingly, she did that best in the water. Hopepaw still couldn't believe how well she's adapted to RiverClan's lifestyle. She loved the water and she has begun to take a liking to fish.

Hopepaw emerged from the apprentice den and stepped into the pale sunlight. It was just past dawn and the clan still slept. She stretched her legs and arched her back before padding towards the camp entrance.

Mosspelt appeared to be guarding the entrance. The tortoiseshell queen nodded to Hopepaw as she walked past. Hopepaw started at a trot as she followed the familiar trail that would take her to the river. Birdsong filled the air and a slight wind whistled through the trees. It made Hopepaw miss the forests of TigerClan.

She skidded down the steep incline towards the riverbank and stopped just short of the river. Hopepaw looked around and saw no one, so she slipped into the water. The cool water soothed her muscles and she closed her eyes in relaxation. She just stood there in the shallows, letting the river wash away her worries.

"Hopepaw?"

At the sudden voice, Hopepaw nearly jumped out of her fur. She spun around towards the TigerClan bank and saw Brambleclaw standing there. His whiskers twitched with amusement and Hopepaw calmed down at the sight.

"You scared me!" Hopepaw scolded him with a hiss. "Don't ever do that again!"

Brambleclaw purred and walked towards the edge of the water. "Hello to you too."

Hopepaw couldn't help it, she purred and relaxed. "What are you doing here, Brambleclaw? My cover will be blown if I'm seen talking with you. We agreed to talk at the next Gathering, remember?"

"I know," Brambleclaw sighed. He walked closer so that his front paws were in the river. It amused Hopepaw to see the discomfort on his face. "But I couldn't wait, I had to see you."

Her heart fluttered at his words and she swam strongly across the river until she stood in the shallows on the other side. "I miss you too, Brambleclaw, I miss all of you."

"I want you to come home," Brambleclaw sighed. "I kind of wish we could just take over RiverClan and be done with. Then you could be a warrior and we could...you know."

Hopepaw's stomach started doing somersaults. She played dumb. "Do what?"

"You know, have kits, start a family." Brambleclaw suddenly looked down at his paws, clearly embarrassed.

It baffled Hopepaw to see Brambleclaw, a confident TigerClan warrior, lost for words. Hopepaw closed the distance between them and rubbed her cheek against his chest. They were both purring and Hopepaw felt safe in the crook of his chest.

"I want that, too, Brambleclaw." Hopepaw murmured quietly. "Soon," She promised him. "Very soon."

"Hopepaw!" A voice called from RiverClan's side of the river. She recognized the voice as Stormpaw.

She flinched and turned her green eyes up at Brambleclaw. "I have to go, but I'll see you at the Gathering." Then she turned and dived back into the deep. Her strong strides swiftly carried her across the water.

Hopepaw reached the bank just as Stormpaw appeared from the reeds. His dark gray pelt seemed almost black in the shadows. His amber eyes brightened when he saw her.

"There you are! Featherpaw said I might find you here." Stormpaw stepped into the sunlight and padded towards her.

Hopepaw emerged from the river and shook the water from her pelt. "I came here for an early morning swim." She sat down and licked her dainty paws while Tigerstar's words coursed through her mind: "love outweighs loyalty, make him love you".

"So guess what? Stonefur said that I'm taking my warrior assessment today!" Stormpaw's eyes were bright with excitement. "Featherpaw and I are going to be warriors!"

Hopepaw's heart lifted and she purred. "That's great, Stormpaw!" She scooted closer so that her fur was brushing with his. Stormpaw tensed at their touch and Hopepaw became hesitant.

There's an imaginary line, Hopepaw, She told herself, Once you cross it, you can never return. Hopepaw leaned into Stormpaw's shoulder and he tensed. I'm saving your life, She thought to herself.

"What are you doing, Hopepaw?" Stormpaw murmured, his voice quiet and his eyes shy. He didn't move away.

She ignored her heavy heart and looked up at him. "I was so scared, so nervous to tell you before, Stormpaw. I always thought that you'd never look past the fact that I wasn't born RiverClan. But I'm not scared anymore, Stormpaw. I think that I'm falling for you." The lie burned in her throat, but she ignored the sensation.

Stormpaw's answer came soft: "I think I'm falling for you, too, Hopepaw." He gently nuzzled her shoulder.

Almost panicking, Hopepaw remembered Graystripe. He would question her and most certainly condemn them from being together. She couldn't let that happen.

"Stormpaw? Let's keep this to ourselves for now. I don't want the clan to know just yet." Hopepaw lied and then blamed it on something else "I'm afraid that the clan still sees me as a TigerClan cat and I don't want them to question your loyalty."

Her half-brother slowly nodded, "I understand, but the clan loves you, Hopepaw. You're a RiverClan cat now."

She smiled and leaned into him. "I'm glad."

~

When they returned to camp, they didn't touch, they didn't share any sidelong glances. Stormpaw walked over to join Featherpaw so they could wait for their mentors. Hopepaw wished that they both passed their assessments.

Graystripe found her before she could reach the apprentice den. "Hopepaw, Crookedstar wanted to see you in his den."

Confused, Hopepaw nodded and followed her father towards Crookedstar's den. It was built around a fallen log that leaned against a boulder. They entered inside to find Crookedstar sitting with Leopardfur.

"Hopepaw, please, sit down." Crookedstar meowed. She obeyed and waited for Crookedstar to speak. Graystripe settled down beside her. "I'm sure you know, Hopepaw, that TigerClan has merged with ShadowClan. That's old news, but here are rumors that TigerClan has it's eyes set on RiverClan and WindClan as well."

She didn't know what to say, so she merely nodded and gave a small answer. "Those are the rumors I've heard."

"Tomorrow at sunhigh, I've arranged a meeting with Tallstar." Crookedstar announced. "I'd like you to accompany me, Hopepaw. It'll be you, Leopardfur, Graystripe, Stormpaw-granted he passes his warrior assessment-and Briarnose."

Hopepaw narrowed her eyes in confusion. "I don't understand, why would I be needed?"

"You can provide intel, tell us things about TigerClan that could stop Tigerstar's murderous conquest." Crookedstar looked her up and down with a serious look. "It is the last test of your loyalty that I need, Hopepaw. You could save lives."

Betraying RiverClan, betraying TigerClan. Since when did she become a double spy? Maybe since she realized that RiverClan became her home.

"I'll come."