Chapter 12

Tigerstar stood before the entire clan; Darkstripe had brought the North Camp to hear their leader speak. Hopepaw sat beside Bramblepaw and Sorrelpaw with her ears pricked. She knew that Tigerstar would be announcing who went to the Gathering and she desperately wanted to go.

"Tonight is the Gathering." Tigerstar began. The fading sunlight reflected off of his amber eyes and his dark stripes rippled with his powerful muscles. His long claws curved wickedly and glinted in the light. He looked every bit the ferocious leader of a mighty clan.

"This is the night," Tigerstar boomed, "That we show RiverClan and WindClan our strength. They will shake in our presence. Tonight, I am going to ask Crookedstar and Tallstar to surrender."

The clan spoke in hushed whispers, but this didn't come as a surprise to Hopepaw. Bramblepaw had already told her his father's plan to unite the clans. She felt that the clan had expected this, but they probably assumed it was all talk.

"With me, I will bring Whitestorm, Blackfoot, Darkflower, Oakfur, Fawnstep, Longtail, Willowpelt, Runningwind, Jaggedtooth, Brackenfur, Sandstorm, Dustpelt, Swiftwind, Thornclaw, Ashfang, Ferncloud, Bramblepaw, Tawnypaw, Rowanpaw, Hopepaw, Owlpaw, and Sootpaw."

Hopepaw brightened at this. She was going to her first Gathering! Then she felt bad because Sorrelpaw and Rainpaw weren't going. They were both older than her!

She went to stand by the other apprentices. "This is so exciting! Our first Gathering!" She mewed to Owlpaw.

Her brother huffed. "We've been waiting for this day since our first moon."

Hopepaw purred at her brother. Then she noticed that the clan was starting to leave. "Come on, let's go." She raced after the clan and found herself running alongside Bramblepaw. The large dark brown tabby apprentice smiled at her and they kept running.

In the distance, Hopepaw could see Fourtrees with the moon rising behind it. She could see cats walking around in the clearing and wondered if both RiverClan and WindClan were there yet. They were sure in for a surprise.

Tigerstar led the clan down the slope and into Fourtrees. Hopepaw smelled both RiverClan and WindClan scent. She made sure to hold her head high as she followed her clanmates. Their numbers made RiverClan and WindClan look small and invaluable. Hopepaw noticed that the scent of the ShadowClan cats had already started to mix.

Immediately, Tigerstar moved to the Great Rock and jumped up alongside Crookedstar and Tallstar. The two leaders stared in shock at the huge mass of TigerClan cats. Blackfoot was among them, but not as a leader anymore.

"Blackstar?" Crookedstar mewed slowly. "What's happened?"

Blackfoot raised his head high in an attempt to maintain his dignity. "It's Blackfoot now, and I am a warrior of TigerClan."

Tallstar and Crookedstar spun on Tigerstar. "What have you done?" Tallstar cried. "You can't just conquer another clan!"

Tigerstar bared his fangs and snarled. "Well, I've done it. Soon, all four clans will be united under TigerClan."

"Don't you dare threaten our clans!" Crookedstar snarled with hackles raised.

Every cat in Fourtrees started yowling. Cats turned on one another and Hopepaw saw the fragile peace nearly shatter. She stood closer to Bramblepaw and Owlpaw, eyeing the other apprentices. One of the apprentices caught her eye. It was a long-haired silver tabby she-cat with crystal blue eyes. Something about her was familiar, but Hopepaw couldn't tell what.

"Stop!" Tallstar yowled. "Keep the truce!" The WindClan leader turned to Tigerstar with an immense amount of self-control. "Tigerstar, what other news do you bring?"

Tigerstar cleared his throat and stood taller. He held a commanding presence over the clans. "We have three new apprentices: Hopepaw has been apprenticed to Thornclaw, Owlpaw to Whitestorm, and Maplepaw to Cinderpelt as a healer."

Tallstar spoke next: "We have two new apprentices: Skypaw and Cloudpaw. Also, Tawnyfur is expecting kits."

Now it was Crookedstar's turn. The large tom gave Tigerstar an angry look before he gave his news. "We have a new litter of kits. Briarnose has had four, healthy kits: Dewkit, Shimmerkit, Hailkit, and Turtlekit."

"Is there anything else?" Tallstar asked the two leaders. Tigerstar kept his mouth shut. "Then this Gathering is over." The three leaders leaped down from the Great Rock. No one stuck around to chat. The three leaders took their clans and left.

Hopepaw followed Bramblepaw and wondered about the Gathering. Were they all like that? Everyone was so tense and angry. Hopepaw placed one paw in front of the other and yawned. All she wanted was to sleep.

When the clan returned to the South camp, those that belonged to the North Camp left. Hopepaw was about to go to the apprentice den when Tigerstar called her name. Curious, Hopepaw trotted over to her leader and bowed her head.

"What is it that you would like to speak with me about?" Hopepaw asked respectively.

Tigerstar motioned for her to follow him into his den. The formidable dark leader sat in front of his nest and Hopepaw sat in front of him. Her ears were pricked forward in interest. What was it that Tigerstar needed to talk with her about, and so urgently?

"Hopepaw, I have something very important to ask you." Tigerstar rumbled. His amber eyes appeared darker in the shadows of the den. "In order to move forward with our mission to unite the clans, it is essential that we gain RiverClan's support."

"I don't understand, Tigerstar." Hopepaw stuttered, confusion glinting in her green eyes. "What could I possibly do to change their minds?"

"Hopepaw, what I am about to ask you must remain top secret. Thornclaw tells me that you diligently carry out orders." Tigerstar's eyes glinted, unnerving Hopepaw a little bit. "Hopepaw, I would like you to go to RiverClan undercover. I need someone on the inside that I can trust."

Hopepaw merely stared at her leader. He wanted her to carry out such an important task?! To spy on RiverClan? She felt mixed emotions, mostly excitement. It was such an honor that Tigerstar trusted her to carry out such an important mission!

"But why wouldn't you send Bramblepaw or Tawnypaw?" Hopepaw wondered.

"Crookedstar would never trust them since they are my kits." Tigerstar explained. "Unlike you who has a respectable mother in the eyes of the other clans. Well, do you think you could do it?"

Hopepaw took a deep breath and nodded. "Yes, I can."

Tigerstar smiled, darkness simmering in his irises. "Excellent, in the morning, I'll have a few warriors walk you to the border. You need to look scared, Hopepaw. They need to believe that you fled to find safety. Is that clear?"

Hopepaw nodded carefully, "Yes, Tigerstar."

Tigerstar looked pleased with himself. "Now, go get some rest. You have a big day ahead of you tomorrow."

A/N
What do you think of Hopepaw's mission? Share your thoughts in the comments and please vote!