Chapter 24

Hopepaw laid in the sand only a fox-length from the river. The sun warmed her russet pelt and she closed her eyes in relaxation. Beside her, Featherpaw laid in the sun as well. A little closer to the river, Stormpaw sat and looked out at the water. Their mentors had given them the day off for working so hard and they all decided to spend it sunbathing and swimming.

"The sun feels so nice," Featherpaw sighed happily. Her silver tabby pelt shone bright under the sunlight.

Stormpaw nodded in agreement. "It's a beautiful day for swimming." He stepped into the water and dived beneath the surface. Hopepaw watched her half-brother disappear and then reappear further downstream. "There are so many fish down here!" He dived again, probably to try catching one.

Hopepaw purred in amusement. "Stormpaw reminds me of my brother."

Featherpaw stared at the river wistfully. "Stormpaw does remind me of Owlpaw."

Hopepaw gave her a sharp look. "You've stopped seeing him, haven't you?"

Featherpaw narrowed her eyes. "Of course I have." Hopepaw didn't believe her. She watched her half-sister in curiosity. How would she react if she knew that her lover, Hopepaw's brother, was also her half-brother?

Stormpaw broke the surface with a fat trout in his jaws. He swam to shore and dropped the fish at their paws. "It's for us to share."

Featherpaw's blue eyes lit up. "Thanks Stormpaw, I'm starving." She sat up lazily and took a bite of the fish. "Mmm, it's good."

Hopepaw narrowed her eyes at Featherpaw. Was she gaining weight, or was it just Hopepaw's imagination? Featherpaw's been awfully sleepy lately, and clumsy, too. Hopepaw sighed and stepped forward to take a bite of the trout. It did taste good.

"Featherpaw and I have our warrior assessments in a half moon." Stormpaw told Hopepaw. "Stonefur and Mistyfoot say we're ready."

"That's great!" Hopepaw exclaimed, honestly happy for them. They deserved to be warriors after all of their hard work.

She wasn't jealous since they were older than her. It just meant that she was closer to being a warrior, too. Would she be named a warrior by Crookedstar or Tigerstar? She guessed it would depend on if RiverClan had fallen by then.

Stormpaw worked the hardest out of all of them. He was extremely dedicated to his training, sometimes even training without Stonefur. Hopepaw would often see him hunting alone, swimming, or practicing battle moves. He would make a great addition to TigerClan. That is, if Tigerstar allowed him to live.

Featherpaw was also a hard worker. She may not practice as much without her mentor, but during training she was focused. Her swimming abilities were some of the best in the clan. Plus, she was compassionate and would make a great mother one day, bringing new life into TigerClan.

Hopepaw prayed to StarClan, if they existed, that Stormpaw and Featherpaw would survive the Merge. She hoped with all of her heart that Tigerstar would see what valuable warriors they'd make for TigerClan. He wouldn't judge them by their parents actions, would he? That uncertainty was enough to keep the secret that Graystripe was her father. If anyone knew, it could cost her her life as well as her littermates.

"I wonder what my warrior name will be," Stormpaw thought out loud.

"Me too," Featherpaw mewed wistfully. "I was kind of hoping that mine would be Featherstream, you know, after Silverstream..."

Hopepaw's heart clenched. "Do you remember your mother at all?"

Stormpaw shook his head, "We only know what others have told us. She was beautiful, a wonderful swimmer, and a great warrior. Graystripe says she had the biggest heart."

It was strange for Hopepaw for them to talk about their mother, her father's other mate. But she wouldn't argue or tell them that they couldn't talk about her. She realized that she had something they didn't: a mother who was alive and well. Even if her parents were separated and from different clans, they were both alive and loved her. That was more than they had.

"I'm sorry," Hopepaw murmured, lowering her head. "I understand how you feel. My father...well, I never met him. Sandstorm never talks about him and I don't know if he's dead or lives outside the clan."

Featherpaw scooted closer so that their fur brushed. "I'm so sorry, Hopepaw. I guess that Stormpaw and I are so lucky to have a father who loves us very much."

And at least you can be honest about who your father is, Hopepaw thought to herself, but she didn't say it out loud. "It's okay, I have a great mother and two littermates. I'm not completely alone."

"Sandstorm is a well-respected warrior," Stormpaw agreed. "Graystripe told us that he and Sandstorm used to be friends."

Hopepaw tried to act surprised. "Really?"

Featherpaw nodded, "Yes, he said that when they were apprentices he used to not like her but that she got better in time."

"You really don't know who your father is?" Stormpaw wondered, sympathy in his amber eyes.

Hopepaw wanted to them, she really did. With all of her heart she wanted them to know that they were connected by something more than friendship. She wanted to tell Featherpaw the biggest reason she didn't want her meeting with Owlpaw. Most of all, she wanted them to see her for what she was to them. She wanted to be their sister.

But she had two littermates to protect from the wrath of Tigerstar. She had a mother to protect and herself. If things were different, she would've told them a long time ago. But they could never know, not while there was so much danger.

So she sat straighter, took a breath, and lied. "No, for all I know he's a rogue."

"I don't think he could be a rogue, Hopepaw." Featherpaw made softly. "You've got the biggest warrior heart I know and you couldn't be a rogue's daughter."

It meant a lot to hear her say that. "I hope that you're right." Hopepaw offered a small smile.

Stormpaw nosed Hopepaw. "Let's head back to camp." And so the three of them raced back to camp where Hopepaw could momentarily forget her problems.