Chapter 19

"Faster, Hopepaw!" Graystripe growled as he lunged for her. She's been on the defense for a while now. It was hard for her to concentrate today! "C'mon! You can do better than that!"

Hopepaw dodged another blow of his. She was gasping for breath and her flanks heaved for air. It's been a long time since she's been pushed this hard. She was tired of being defensive, she wanted to be offensive.

She let out a growl and leaped onto Graystripe's back. Her claws dug into his long fur as she tried to stay on. He reared up to fall back on her but she jumped off in the nick of time. Hopepaw managed to land on her paws and slunk around Graystripe. Her movements like that of a snake.

"Better," Graystripe nodded as he circled with her. He went to lunge at her and she dodged, hitting his side. Then she dived between his paws and purposefully tripped him up. When he fell, she pinned him down beneath her paws. Her breathing was rasp but her eyes were alight with the fire of determination.

Graystripe smirked, "Now we're getting somewhere." He playfully shoved her off and sat up. They've been practicing since dawn and it was nearly sunhigh.

Hopepaw collapsed in the shade and tried to regain her breath. Graystripe padded over and sat beside her. "Crookedstar tells me that you've been invited to the Gathering."

She nodded slowly, "Yes, it surprised me." Then she hesitated before adding, "I think he means to test how I'll act around my former clanmates."

Graystripe huffed with amusement. "He did that with me, too. It's unreasonable for him to expect you to act completely hostile to them-they're your family."

"So are you!" She shot back playfully. Then she frowned. "When can we tell Stormpaw and Featherpaw? I want them to know about me!"

Graystripe hesitated, "I don't know, I still think it's too soon. We should wait until you're more established within the clan."

She wanted to argue, but she didn't have the energy. "Can I go hunting? I want to see if I can catch some sort of forest prey."

"Not liking the taste of fish yet?" Graystripe huffed with amusement.

Hopepaw shook her head, "No, I think I'll always prefer forest prey."

Graystripe purred, "Very well. I'll see you back at camp." With that said, he disappeared into the forest. She was all alone to her devices.

Hopepaw raced off into the forest to pursue the enticing scents of forest prey. She stayed expertly hidden among the shadows, slinking from shadow to shadow. Her russet coat helped her hide but when she stepped in the sunlight, her pelt gleamed.

Sitting on a low branch, Hopepaw noticed a bird. She crouched down and stalked forward. The bird had no clue the danger it was in until she pounced. Hopepaw dug her claws into it and killed it with one bite. The smell of fresh prey made her mouth water.

She hid the bird and kept moving. By the time she was ready to head back, she had the bird, two squirrels, and a mouse to add to the pile. A few warriors gave her a strange look but she ignored them. Hopepaw took one of the squirrels for herself and settled in front of the apprentice den. Just as she was about to tuck in, Crookedstar called a meeting.

Hopepaw left her squirrel for when she came back. She found herself sitting by Mistyfoot and Heavystep. Her eyes turned up to Crookedstar. Then she noticed Briarnose emerge from the nursery with her four kits behind her. Were they being named apprentices?

Crookedstar's voice boomed across camp. "It is with great pleasure that I name these four kits apprentices." He nodded for them to step forward. Hailkit stepped forward first. "Hailkit, until you earn your warrior name, you will be known as Hailpaw. Blackclaw will be your mentor."

The ceremony passed by quickly. Shimmerpaw was apprenticed to Mosspelt, Turtlepaw was apprenticed to Shadepelt, and Dewpaw was apprenticed to Heavystep. The four newly named apprentices stood up front with their heads held high. Hopepaw smiled to herself; they all looked to be promising warriors. After the ceremony, Hopepaw returned to her squirrel.

~*~

Night slowly befell on camp and the clan prepared itself for he Gathering. Hopeaw waited in anticipation alongside Stormpaw and Featherpaw. She was eager to see her littermates and Bramblepaw. Crookedstar joined them and they were on their way.

The clan moved like a wave through the forest towards the river. Once they reached the river, they followed it upstream. Hopepaw was told that there was a twoleg bridge that they used to cross the river. When it came into view, Hopepaw found herself shying away from it. She didn't trust anything made by twolegs.

After crossing the bridge, it wasn't long before Hopepaw could see Fourtress. It rose from the forest around it and the smell of the other clans was strong. She could smell TigerClan and her heart leapt for joy. Crookedstar led their clan down the slope into the hollow and the other clans watched them enter. They were the last clan to arrive.

Immediately, Crookedstar leaped onto the Great Rock with the other two leaders. Hopepaw sat beside Featherpaw and Stormpaw, but her eyes wandered the crowd for someone else. Tallstar started first and halfway through his news, Hopepaw felt a light touch on her shoulder.

She turned around and saw Bramblepaw. Wow did he look bigger! He was taller and looked stronger, but his eyes were the same. Bramblepaw motioned for her to follow him and she did so without thinking.

Bramblepaw led her to the shadows while Tallstar talked on about the news of WindClan. When they were completely out of sight Hopepaw excitedly rubbed against Bramblepaw's chest. "I've missed you so much!"

He purred and his amber eyes glowed. "I've missed you, too. We were all surprised to wake up and find you gone. Then my father explained what you were doing and the whole clan admired you."

"Really?" She was surprised that Tigerstar had anything good to say about her.

Bramblepaw nodded, "Yeah, but I still missed you." He lowered his head as if he were embarrassed. "When are you coming home?"

Hopepaw sighed, "I don't know." She dropped her voice to the tiniest whisper, "I suppose when Tigerstar has enough information to overthrow RiverClan."

Bramblepaw bent his head to touch his nose to her forehead. "I miss you, Hopepaw."

She purred and blinked softly. "I miss you, too."

He touched his tail to her cheek before slipping out of their hiding spot. Hopepaw waited a moment before exiting herself. She headed back to Featherpaw and Stormpaw. Tigerstar was now talking.

"Where have you been?" Featherpaw whispered to her.

"I needed some air," Hopepaw answered with her eyes trained on her leader.

"TigerClan is proud to announce that Darkflower is expecting kits, the first to have genuine TigerClan blood since the father is Runningwind." Tigerstar stood taller. "TigerClan is strong but I fear that one of our apprentices has disappeared. Her trail ends at the RiverClan border."

Hopepaw shrunk underneath all of the stares from the cats surrounding her. She guessed that this was Tigerstar putting on a show and she had to play along. Crookedstar stepped forward and faced Tigerstar.

"Your apprentice, Hopepaw, has come to RiverClan seeking refuge." Crookedstar's voice echoed throughout the hollow. "She is now being mentored by Graystripe and is adjusting well. Hopepaw fled a clan that she did not feel safe in."

Tigerstar took a menacing step forward. "Return the apprentice to us, Crookedstar."

"Not unless she wants to return," Crookedstar growled. He found Hopepaw among the crowd. "Well, Hopepaw, tell Tigerstar your decision."

Hopepaw stood taller with the eyes of every clan on her. She was shaking but forced herself to remain steady. "I am a RiverClan cat now."

Whispers echoed in the hollow and Hopepaw sat back down. Featherpaw leaned into her for moral support. Crookedstar continued with giving his news. He talked about the four new apprentices and how RiverClan was strong. Then the Gathering was over and Hopepaw returned with RiverClan.