Chapter seven: You're My Savior

I try not to panic. I really do. But the scream comes out of me involuntary and I'm sure the landlord is going to get a complaint about me from my eighty-year-old next door neighbor who seems to also have it out for me, like this demo -cat I'm staring at right now with my bulging, angry eyes.

I want to rip my hair out of my head.

Better yet, I want to rip off the fur off Meow's tiny and creepy little body and stab my fingers through its green-blue eyes.

"That is it!" I stump over to Meow who has now awaken thanks to my loud and dramatic screech. I inhale and exhale deeply and undo my fists before reaching for him. "Come here, monsters."

I pick him up and walk to the front door. "I'm not dealing with you anymore. I don't know where mom picked up your demonic ass but you now can go back to where you came from. I release you. Shoo!" I place him outside the door and point a menacing finger at him. "And I swear, if you get me fired, I will personally track you down in feline-hell and squeeze you until you die." With that, I slam the door behind me, walking back inside my apartment.

With a sigh, I look around at the mess around me.

Is it half-dog? What kind of a cat chews, sucks, flips over and scratches everything in its path?

I take my phone and dial the number. I cross my two fingers together, hoping that Andrew is a morning person and will be able to help me.

"Sugarcubes? Is that really you?" A surprised Andrew answers.

I breathe out loud in deep relief at the smile I hear in his voice. "Hey, Drew," I reply, feeling embarrassed to be calling him at this time.

"Mornin', Sugarcubes, you've never actually called me before. Remember? I gave you this number last year."

"I know. I guess I'm one of those people who only call when I need help."

"You need help? Are you okay?" He asks, sounding suddenly alarmed.

"Yep. If you don't come over right now, I'm losing my job for sure."

"Be right there. I'm actually just leaving the gym but give me your address, I'll catch an uber."

     With a huge and thankful smile on my face, I open the front door to receive Andrew after hearing his knocks.

He grins back at me. He's wearing a tight combo of a black t-shirt and pants and he is sweaty as if he jogged here. "Hey, Drew."

"Is this your cat?"

I gasp angrily when I see what he is holding and petting. "No! Get rid of it! Kill it with fire!" I point at Meow who's sitting comfortably in Andrew's arm as if I'm the only one it hates to touch.

"Whoah, Sugarcubes, what'd he do? I found him scratching at your door."

I take Meow from him and walk past him to go put the cat out in the streets. Once I'm finished, I walk back into the apartment building.

At the look of confusion on Andrew's face, I explain, "he's the reason I might get fired today."

He raises a brow and smiles slightly. "I think it's adorable."

"That cat is everything, adorable is not one of them.

"Not the cat, you are ado..."

"He's also the reason I have no couch to sit on. Also the reason I have a small balled spot in the middle of my head right now."

Without further explaining, I invite him in. He whistles in entrance as he beholds the mess that is where I live. "Damn, girl! You gotta get yourself a cleaning crew," he jokes.

"That cat belongs in feline-hell. Although I'm pretty sure he's half-dog so maybe, half of his soul belongs in canine-hell too."

I walk to the couch and start picking up the chewed papers and the ruined blue folder.

Andrew takes the time to look around. "This is pretty cozy."

I roll my eyes. "I know you mean small and horribly ugly."

He laughs. "No way. I mean it, Sugarcubes. It's underrated. It's..." He pauses and stares at me for a long second. "It's so you. Underrated beauty," he adds quietly. "You won't see it unless you really look..."

"Thanks, Drew." I walk up to him and shows him the chewed up papers and the blue folder.

"This is something Mr. Rye told me to guard with my life. Meow felt it was a good idea to put it in his mouth and then spit it out, scratch it and then chew it."

He takes the papers from me and cringes when he sees the ruined documents. "Sugarcubes, this is bad."

"You're telling me?" I slap my palm to my forehead and exhale. "You can help me, right? I mean, I think there's enough of it to make a copy but Mr. Rye will know it's different since I don't have that same type of paper to print it out and I don't know where to get an exact replica of that fancy folder.

"Nothing is impossible, Sugarcubes. Don't worry, I got your back," he assures me and winks.

Feeling gtateful, my eyes widen. "Really?"

"Really. I'll try my best to help," he says and ruffles my hair.

"I'm sorry. I'm such a burden to..."

He stops me before I can finish, "it's nothing at all. I'm glad when you need my help. I got you. I might be a little late to work this morning, but you'll see me. I'm going to the library, I think I might be able to put this together for you."

I hug him hard, squeezing his sweaty body almost painfully but he doesn't complain. "Thank you. You're my savior, Drew."

"I'll take whatever you give me, Sugarcubes. I'll be your anything," he mutters as he hugs me back.

Please don't forget to vote!

Do you think Andrew will save our girl? I hope so.