Chapter eight: You Saved a Drowning Rat

My short legs are quick in their steps as I hurry in walking past everyone and simply waving at them as they wish me a good norning. Most of them have gotten to know me as more than just the red-haired receptionist downstairs, ever since I started working Tashi's job and they've been a bit more friendly towards me, but today, I can't do the smiles and the greetings. My heart is too in-my-throat.

I've been drowning in sweat ever since I walked inside Rye Insdustries Headquarters and I had to hold on to the railing as the elevator went up a few dozen floors, because I just couldn't do the nausea.

I walk into Tashi's office, my heart practially ripping away inside my chest now as I sit myself behind the desk and log in to Mr. Rye's office-email.

As I type on the keyboard, I can feel my skin weeping with sweat as it trills down my neck and back. I silently pray that Mr. Rye doesn't arrive before Andrew does.

I'm not even positive that Andrew will even be able to fix the chewed up document yet.

What if he Mr. Rye arrives up here right now? What if he calls for me and asks for this document that he told me to keep safe with my life?

Do I tell him that I don't have it, and that my cat ate it!

Oh my God! Will I be getting sued by a multi-millionaire?

I can barely afford my cat's food!

"Lambert, in my office."

My heart drops at that voice. It's deep, dark, British and menacing.

It's him. He's already up here. He's been in his office all this time.

Crap.

Well, I guess this is where it ends for me.

Nice to having had you, decent job and pay check, nice to having met you, new friend, Tashi and Andrew.

And hello, prison.

Nervously and hesitately, I press the button and responds with a shaky voice, "I'll be right there, Mr. Rye." I stand up, wiping the tears already dripping down my cheeks with the back of my hand.

I smooth the wrinkles on my linen blazer and skirt and decide to move forward, hoping that I won't faint on my way to his office.

"I called and expected a very dry girl to my office. But you resemble a drowned rat."

Shit, I sweat and cry when I'm nervous, so I must look a mess right now. I don't blame the sneer on his face.

I clear my throat, wanting the earth to just have mercy and open under my feet right now. "Mr. Rye, I..." my voice breaks as I start, new tears falling down my face. "I'm sorry, I..., my cat..."

"What?" He says, looking too busy to even look at me now as he taps on the screen of his phone.

"I'm...so sorry, I-"

A very quiet knock distracts me from my crying confession and I am about to break out in sobs when I see Andrew waving to me behind the glass door and he's holding up a blue folder, with a wide smile in his face.

I look to my boss, he is still texting so I excuse myself and leave to open the door, closing it shut behind me. Because if Andrew and I start talking about the document, I don't want Mr. Rye to learn about it that way.

With the door closed, all he will be able to see is our mouths moving. These glass are soundproof.

"Oh, sugarcubes, what happened? You look like someone tried to drown you,"

The terrible tension I have been feeling all morning has now somehow subsides as soon as I get close to Andrew. His presence just does that, relaxes me. "I'm sorry I look so mess, Drew. I can't. I-"

"Are you crying, no! Come here!" In a flash, Andrew takes me in a tight embrace, his arms going around me.

With a deep sigh of relief, I exhale into his chest, needing the comfort he's offering. "Oh, please tell me you have it. I can't get sued, Andrew, I can't go to prison."

He strokes my wet hair and kisses my teary cheek. "I've got it, don't worry."

I can't help to giggle my relief onto his chest. "You just saved a drowned rat."

We both chuckle.

Please don't forget to vote!