Chapter two: Wearing Her

Fresh out of the shower, I enter my bedroom and walk straight my closet. As I start looking for an outfit to wear, I spot mom's boxes, which I've arranged in a small and contrived, dark area in the closet, behind my hanging clothes, not hidden but not in full view.

I know they're there, but sometimes I just want to forget that they are, forget why there are.

They all contain her clothes, her jewelries and any of her other possessions that were given to me after her passing.

I have looked through them once, ignored the lump in my throat and the tears in my eyes and looked through them, smelt them and held them over my heart. But that was once, now, something has changed; I no longer fear that I'll cry my eyes out when I see them and I've also just realized I haven't worn them or used them.

I want to wear them today.

I want to feel closer to her.

I open one of the boxes, this time, I'm not crying when her scent invades my nostrils, a scent of flowery perfume, a mothery scent, one that I've grown up around, a scent that once nurtured me. A scent that I now miss deeply but know that I will never fully experience again.

Searching in the box, I quickly find something I like. Something I've seen her wear before, so many times.

I don't wear bright colors, they tend to draw attention, and that's always a thing I try to avoid, but with this one, I feel like I need her today with me.

So, with a sad smile, I take the cream-colored blazer and its matching paints out of the box.

This fits me perfectly, the color and the size.

Mom and I started wearing the same size when I was fifteen. She was a very petite woman, as am I.

I go and stand in front of my cracked mirror in the bedroom; I haven't bought a new mirror because I don't really care for them. I don't find myself particularly attractive and any reminder of that wouldn't be appreciated.

I try mom's outfit, liking it on me; feeling like I can smell her, feel her and that makes me sad and happy at the same time. But right now, I'm not bawling on the floor like I usually am every time I think of her. Instead, I'm looking at my reflection in the mirror with a small smile on my face, touching the fabric on my body as if I'm touching her.

I look so much like her, especially while wearing her clothes. We had the same height, five-foot-three, same light brown eyes, same medium-length, dark-red hair and the same pale and freckled skin and upturned nose.

I don't feel them at first, but then I quickly notice it when my eyes start to glisten, and some tears go down my freckled cheeks. But they're not the same tears I've shed in the past year; they're different tears; Acceptance Tears.

I wipe them away, reaching for some make-up on the night-stand next to me below the mirror.

I apply some blush on my freckled cheeks to hide the stain of fresh tears, taking a deep breath and getting a hold of myself. I brush my dark-red hair, leaving it hanging on my shoulders today instead of up in a ponytail, as I've done everyday.

The boring ponytail is my signature style, I'm actually known as the "nice receptionist with the ponytail" at Rye's Industries Headquarters, so I'm not sure why I'm changing it today.

But I think nothing more of it, as I give myself a last look in the mirror, knowing that I won't get any prettier if I stare longer.

I grab my purse and walk out of my bedroom.

At the sight of my cat in the window railing, I sigh, tired of fighting this rude animal left and right. "Meow, get down from there!"

He stands there as if I didn't just give him in order. "Now, Meow!"

I grab the furry little monster and places it down, then closing the window in the kitchen so that it doesn't jump down onto the streets and die.

I don't put it past him, though. If the cat hates me that much, it might just be contemplating suicide.

"Here, Meow," I call, leaving a bowl of milk on the floor.

But it just stands there, purring.

I roll my eyes and shrug as it watches me walk out of the door.

Please don't forget to vote!

Why should she do with Meow? Lol