Chapter nine: You Can't Shag Him

After thanking Andrew for the millionth time for his awesome deed and thanking the sky for giving me such a good friend, he tells me again that what he did was nothing and that he'll do anything for me.

I kiss him on his cheek in deep gratitude before walking back into Mr. Rye's office.

I shut the door after re-entering and approach my boss, repositioning myself where I stood, before Andrew interrupted.

Even though now, Mr. Rye's back is facing me as he looks out to the city of San Francisco, standing rigidly, his stance tall and straight as he looks like a God in a black, three-piece-suit, in front of his paronamic window, looking over the world, he seems to still sense my presence as he says, "you were saying, Miss Lambert, your cat..."

"Oh, my cat, he, um, died...?" I shake my head quickly, realizing that I'm asking him this instead of telling him. So I confirm my lie in a more confident tone, "he definitely died."

"Quite sad, Miss Lambert. Is there a reason you thought I'd want to know this?" he asks, his tone harsher than usual. He's still not facing me, his hands crossed behind his back.

"Oh, right, um, I'm sor..."

He interrupts my stuttering and asks, "I'm sure you are aware of the employee dating policy, Miss Lambert,"

Wait, what? I'm confused...

"Sir, I do, but I don't know why..."

"You can't shag him," he simply says as if that's the end of it, as if I even have an inkling of the subject he just brought on spontaneously.

Who exactly does he think I'm on the verge of...shagging?

I'm so shocked that I can barely respond, "Mr. Rye, I don't think I know who you're speaking of exactly..."

He sighs and finally turns away from the glass wall, to look at me, walking slowly back to his desk.

My God, the man is so intimidating, I want to curl myself into a tiny little ball every time he even so much as breathes in my presence.

Why did I agree to take Tashi's job again?

Oh yeah, it pays three times more than what my receptionist job does...

"I saw you and that bloke practically undressing each other out there. I don't think I have to remind you, that this type of behavior is not allowed here, Miss Lambert."

Undressing each other? We were hugging! I was thanking him for saving the document!

My face burns red and I gasp softly, surprised that Mr. Rye would take such an innocent moment between two friends and twist it like that.

Is the red-haired virgin who was made fun of in high school for having literally no sex appeal, and a body covered in ugly freckles, about to be fired for acting suggesively in the work-place?

Mom would be so proud. She always did suggest that I acted more slutty.

"Sir, that was Andrew, we aren't..."

"I don't care who he is. You cannot chag him," he says, his voice quieter now, as if we're sharing this intimate secret, but his eyes pierce through me menacingly, burning my skin hotter.

Isn't this Human Resources' job to tell me? Should he even be talking to me about this?

Looking directly down from his burning stare, my heart beating fast, I mutter quietly, my voice cracking a bit due to the sudden tension around us, "Mr. Rye, Andrew is my friend. I promise you, nothing like this is happening. I don't see him like that. He's nice to me."

"Nice to you..." he repeats my words as if they're foreign to him then after a second, I hear him chuckle.

What the hell?

"Nice to you, huh?" he says, still chuckling. "I knew you were a virgin, but now I see, you're a naive one at that," he adds casually. "A bloody tragic combination."

I repeat, what the hell!

"Sir, I don't know what you me..."

"The document, Lambert, if you will." He poffers his hand in waiting.

"Oh, right" I look at my hand, which is holding what looks to be the exact folder he gave to me the day before, but it's not and I feel guilty about that, but I hand it to him nonetheless, quick in my movements.

"My lawyer will be up soon. Don't let him wait, direct him immediately to my office," he demands.

I nod. "Yes, sir."

"You are dismissed," he says opening the folder and sitting himself behind his desk, right back to ignoring me.

Please don't forget to vote!😘

I can't believe I have reached more than 80k reads! So thanks to you guys! Thank you so much, guys!

I love you all!

And if you are also a writer, you can enter fun contests at TMWAssociation

They currently have a Valentine's Day theme contest and I want one of you to enter and win!!!

Thanks so much again!)

(Why do y'all think Damien doesn't want our heroine to "shag" Andrew lol?)