Listen while you still can. • Chapter 4

Jenna was telling Elena that she felt like herself, only not. Everything was brighter, the fire hotter. She was terrified but there was the part of her that wanted to feel nothing. The part that hurts... the part that vampires want to turn off.

They heard a scream further away. It was the werewolf. Greta returned with her and pushed her to the ground and trapped her inside the fire ring.

"What's happening to me?" she questioned.

"I cast a spell to slow down your transformation," she replied to her and squatted down to her level, "Your insides are trying to tear themselves free."

"Greta, witches are supposed to maintain the balance in nature. It's your duty to them to keep this curse sealed," Elena said.

"My duty is to Klaus and his sister," Greta said, determined, "The new order.

"Glad to know I still have a dance partner," Klaus said to her.

"Dance off a cliff, Klaus," Nicole rolled her eyes. "Hello, my test subjects."

"Oh, come on, Nic. Be nice. After all they're gonna give us what we've been after for a thousand year," Klaus said.

"Are we ready?" asked Nicole from the three girls and grinned.

"I've got the moonstone," Klaus said, holding the stone, "we spent 500 years looking for this. I hate to part with it."

"Write a song about it," Nicole said sarcastically.

Greta took the stone from him and looked at the moon in the sky, "The moon has passed its apex. Remember everything you need to do?"

"We might be old but our memories are great," Nicole stated and Greta dropped the Moonstone on the altar and sparks flew as it landed and it created a fire.

"Shall we?" Klaus asked Jules as Great kept chanting.

The ring of fire disappeared from around her as Klaus walked closer. Jules tried to run but Klaus was faster and he landed on top of her. Klaus smiled as he ripped her heart out from her chest and returned to the altar and held it above it, giving it a squeeze, letting the blood drip onto it.

"Does that mean it's working?" he asked.

"It's working," she confirmed.

"Hello, Jenna," Nicole chirped as she walked closer to her, "Nice night we're having, eh?"

"Let her go. I understand that I have to die, but she doesn't," Elena said.

"You're absolutely right, Elena. But if not Jenna, then who? Caroline, Matt? Someone else from this godforsaken town. Would it have been better if it was someone who wasn't close to you so you wouldn't feel guilty?? she taunted, "I'm sure you're glad it was Jules who died instead of Tyler. Imagine ruining a simple man's life, their family all because you decided not to let her die. You're selfish. The world doesn't revolve around you. You're only useful for breaking the curse."

"No one had to die. You're already immortal and powerful. What else do you need?" she cried.

"I want what was meant to be mine from the beginning," she frowned. "You're just like Katherine, did you know that? Always making everything about you. The self-centered little girl who needs everyone to save her."

Elena stepped closer to the fire, with tears in her eyes, and the flames got bigger.

"Careful now, wouldn't wanna hurt a pretty little hair on your head," she mocked him.