Chapter 6

Chapter 6

“You spent the night with Jex Landon?!” Josie screeched down the phone, making me have to hold the phone away from my ear in order to keep my eardrums intact. I sat down on my bed and looked out the french doors of my bedroom to the forest. Some people found it weird that I lived on the edge of town, but I liked it, it was quiet and peaceful, I liked getting away from everything and I loved that my dad felt the same way.

“Well since somebody was too busy to give me a lift, I didn’t really have much choice!” I accused, trying to sound annoyed but I couldn’t help but smile. I didn’t know why, but something about Jex made my heart swell with warmth, so technically I couldn’t exactly be mad at Josie even if I wanted to.

“Aw i’m sorry hun, but think about it this way, I gave you the chance to sleep in Jex’s bed.” She retorted suggestively and I giggled helplessly. Just remembering the way the muscles in his back moved when he walked, the intoxicating way his lips curved when he smiled-

Woah, best stop there Nina!

“It was weird though Jose, his whole family looks unnaturally attractive and they kept stating that I was ‘human’. I mean, it comes across a bit special if you know what I mean...” I trailed off, a frown playing at the corner of my mouth. As much as I wanted to believe that they were just a normal, good looking family, there was a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that something wasn’t quite right.

“Oh my gosh Nina, maybe they’re vampires! Oh my gosh Jex can be your Edward Cullen!”

I broke into laughter and lay down on my bed in defeat.

 “Wow Josie, original.” I teased sarcastically. 

“Well think about it Nina, they are all out-of-this-world beautiful, crazy rich and not to mention they live in the middle of the woods...” She suggested in a matter-of-fact tone. 

I thought about what Josie said for a moment until dismissing the thought completely. There’s no way that’s true. Those kind of things just don’t exist.

“Whatever you say Josie,” I joked, and then decided to just drop the bomb-shell now.   

 “Well I’m kind of going on a date with Jex in half an hour...” I reported hesitantly.

I didn’t know why I suddenly felt so shy but nervous butterflies suddenly took flight in the pit of my stomach at the mention of going on a date with Jex. 

“YOU’RE WHAT?!” Josie belched and I cringed from the onslaught my eardrums had just endured.

“Okay yeah! Gotta go! Bye bye bye!” I rushed out and quickly ended the call. There was no way I was going to survive that interrogation, and now I only had...

25 Minutes to get ready! Crap!

Jumping up off the bed, I threw my phone on my pillows and rushed to my wardrobe, throwing open the doors in a panic. 

 Exactly twenty four minutes later, I was standing in front of my full length mirror, analyzing my appearance for the evening. My hair was up in a ponytail, with my brown, wavy bangs framing my face. I had opted for a short, blue, strapless dress that cinched at the waist with a black belt. I loved this dress but... maybe it was a bit too short? I didn’t want Jex to get the wrong impression. Seconds away from changing, I was stopped by the loud ring of the doorbell. My dad had left to go on business a couple of hours ago, so with one last glance at myself, I headed to the front door. As I approached, my hands started to sweat with nerves, and the familiar stir of butterflies in my stomach confirmed that Jex was standing on the other side of the door.