Chapter 14

Chapter 14

(This chapter is dedicated to VanessaPayne1Dluvr for her lovely comments <3)

 My feet pounded against the ground in a steady rhythm. Nothing like a morning run to clear my mind. Even though my body rebelled from being away from Jex, I needed this. That’s why I left for a jog before anyone was awake. It wasn’t exactly hard to sneak out. Those wolves are heavy sleepers.

Me and Jex were mates, but for me... that didn’t mean instant love. I couldn’t deny that I really, really liked him, but what did I really know about him? Other than the whole wolf thing. 

Oh I could have so much fun teasing him with that. I smiled to myself as thoughts of just what I could do to wind him up came to me. Remembering how angry he looked when I teased him about being a dog. 

Right before he kissed me.

Yeah, this is definitely a good idea.

Him being riled up is hot! ... Said the darker part of me.

Maybe I could take his iPod and put loads of dog songs on it. That would be hilarious.

 Absentmindedly, I sang ‘Who let the dogs out’ and smiled at the morning chorus echoed around the forest. I could almost imagine the birds were my back-up singers. And the crack of the twig ahead of me my drums-

De-ja-vu.

 Stopping short, my wild heart skidded to a complete stop as dark hair, and even darker eyes came into view. Was that...? “Marcus.” I whispered. What was he doing here? 

“And you are... Nina! Ah, that’s right.” He smiled at me, but it seemed cold. There was something off about him, that I didn’t trust. At all. Especially him being in the middle of the woods this early in the morning. But he’s friends with my dad, so he couldn’t be that bad, right?

What was it with me and being ambushed in the woods? I really need to go jogging somewhere else.

“W-what are you doing here?” I tried to smile.

“I like to hunt. For animals, you know. Common sport.” He grinned, Leaning his shoulder against the tree. His eyes seemed to be laughing at me.

“Oh yeah, I hunt all the time. That’s ma thang. Ma bumper stickerr.” I rambled nervously. Why am I going ghetto? Damn he sets me on edge. And not in a good way. Coughing, I looked behind me, and back to Marcus. He hadn’t moved except his eyebrows being raised.

“So you and Jex, huh? You two seem close. How long have you known him?”

There was something about the way he spoke that made me hasitant to tell him the truth. 

“A while.” I smiled. “He’s actually waiting for me, so I better get going...” I gestured behind me with my thumb, wanting to be far away from him. He seemed... pleased all of a sudden by my answer. God he’s weird.

“Yeah, well it was really nice seeing you.” He drawled, sending me a wink. Why does he always wink? It’s like he thinks we have a secret no one else knows about. Either that, or he has a serious eye twitch.

“Sure...” I murmured, and then spun around to walk back. My steps sped up the further away I got, and daring to take a look back, I peeked over my shoulder only to find him gone.

-------

 Approaching the driveway of the house, the jog seemed a lot quicker on the way back than it did on the way there. Probably because I sprinted. I wasn’t scared, just seriously creeped out and on edge. The whole jog (sorry, sprint) back, I debated whether or not to tell Jex about this morning’s encounter. Would he go ballistic? I’m sure he could be rational. It’s not like Marcus did anything wrong. We are both adults. I don’t expect him to like the idea that Marcus was in the middle of the woods... Hunting? It’s a reasonable excuse I guess. People do do that. And why did I say that hunting was my ‘thang’? I’ve never hunted in my life. Anyway, I’m just going to tell Jex and i’m sure he’ll be rational about it. It’s not even a big deal! He probably won’t care. It’s not like he’s going to kick up a storm over nothing.