Chapter 19 (Part 2)

Chapter 19 (part 2)

(This chapter is dedicated to @YouTubeThugLife for her message, it was really sweet and she seems like a cool gal)

It was finally happening. I knew it. Dad had come to his senses, was going to demand I come home, lock me in a cage and make me eat vegetables. He would massacre the world’s population of men and I would die old and alone and healthy. Ew. My phone vibrated on the bed, taunting me.

I should answer it...

I mean, I can’t exactly ignore my dad forever!

... But I guess if I faked my death he wouldn’t bothe- No, no it would never work. 

...Unless- 

No, forget it, forget it. 

 I shook my head, sighed and tentatively raised the phone to my ear.

“Uh, hi dad!” I said through clenched teeth.

Here it comes... Goodbye E-numbers! I’ll miss you!

“Nina! How you doing darling? Good? Good! Now I know you unpacked the groceries last week, but I can’t bloody find the lasagna. Where did you put it?”

Thank mother Mary, he was still an idiot. Quickly I lowered my phone and did a little jiggle. Sweet relief, I will still maintain my beloved calorie intake! Composing myself, I cleared my throat and brought the phone back up to my ear. 

“In the freezer dad! And yes i’m doing good, glad you’re fatherly instincts are on point.”

“Erm... Oh yeah there it is. Right in the front! God damn i’m getting old. I miss you around here! I hope the Landon’s are being accommodating.”

“Dad, 73 isn’t old? And yeah you could say they were... accommodating. They’re lovely, you should come over and visit soon!” I grinned walking to the window. Looking outside, I saw Robbie mowing the lawn shirtless. It was weird that they he wasn’t hairier, considering what he was, I wondered idly.

“Yeah I definitely will! As long as the Landon’s wouldn’t mind? I’m getting sick of eating microwave meals.” Wait, what? “Ha! Just kidding, i’ll never get sick of ‘em.” There he is. “Dad seriously, don’t scare me like that. And of course they wouldn’t mind!” I think...

“So, what about Jex? How are you guys doing? Is he being good to my baby girl?”

“Jex is good, great even! But he does snore louder than you so... you know, pros and cons, pros and cons!” Mainly pros though... Heh heh.

“Great! Are you guys up to anything today or tomorrow?” 

“Urm... Not much I don’t think? Me and Jex were gonna double date with Jose later, but...” It was weird, having dad so interested in my life, usually he was working, or away with the fairies. Lately he seemed a lot more, aware? It was quite refreshing actually. Maybe not having me around as much has opened his eyes a bit. 

“That’s great, listen honey, i’m gonna settle in for the evening, but you enjoy your date!” There was a slight muffling in the background, like someone was there with him... Did he have company? Ew gross. “-Love you!” He continued, and the line went dead.

“Yeah, you too.” I muttered and then cringed. Slipping my phone on charge, I left the bedroom and went to the staircase, looking down the banister to the floor below. The banister wound down the staircase at quite and angle, and you know.... there was that urge. Yeah, you know the urge i’m talking about.