Chapter 5- Recess

Now it's the next day during recess. I'm with my friends Summer, Sky, and Emily. We were walking around and talking. We were deciding on what to do during these 15 minutes outside. We walk past the playground, onto the blacktop.

"What do you want to do?" Summer asks. We all shrug, then I say, "Let's watch the kids playing soccer," knowing that Cameron is usually there on the field. They still don't know that I like him, but we all like watching the soccer game, so we went ahead and watched from the sidelines. The kids are very strict when it comes to who they want playing, so we just like to watch.

Cameron is goalie, and the other team shoots for a goal, and Cameron jumps and hits the ball in the other direction. "Wow, Cameron is good at that position, isn't he?" Sky exclaims, and we all nod in agreement. Everyone watches the ball as it rolls to the other end of the field, but I still stare at Cameron. He sees me and smiles, berry subtlety, since everyone is on the field.

The bell rings and we all run to the cafeteria to eat lunch. We sit down at the table with our lunch boxes and start eating. Cameron comes by with a tray and sits across from me, where his friends usually sit. He starts eating as well, and he looks at me. Not for a long time, but long enough for others to notice if they were paying attention. I don't know if my friends know about me and Cameron. I don't know if it's obvious that we like each other. I'm not sure if I should tell them either way. Cameron told me to keep it a secret. He's also doing things that could make it obvious. Maybe just a little bit longer, I'm not sure what he wants. His friends come to the table shortly after he does and they are all talking to each other. Cameron laughs, and I think about that moment the rest of the day. His smile, his laugh, the whole thing. I don't even know what he's laughing about, but whatever it was he looked adorable.