First Encounter: Toshizo Hijikata

Scenario: You've made the tough decision of leaving your clan, but apparently, that was against their policy. They're out to kill you now, but then he comes to your rescue.

******

You stand in a dark, abandoned alley at night, breathing heavily and fearful for your very life. You had just decided to leave your clan, but the leaders didn't take the news well. You were now hiding from those who would kill you in an instant because of your so-called "betrayal".

Hearing the sound of footsteps, your heart rate quickens in anxiety and you clamp a hand over your own mouth to try and muffle the sound of your gasping breaths. Suddenly, a blue robe appears in your line of vision and your entire body stiffens with fear.

"Oh? And who are you?" The stranger places a strong, masculine hand on your shoulder, causing you to jump with surprise from the unexpected contact.

"Don't kill me!" You shout defensively, forgetting to be quiet as your hand flies at lightning speed to the katana at your waist. The man's hand shoots out and stops you from pulling the weapon out of its sheath.

"Wait!"

At the sound of his deep, commanding voice, you freeze. Just by hearing that one command, you can tell that he's a skilled warrior and that one wrong move could mean instant death.

"You're of the (clan name), right?" You glare defiantly up at him as you nod warily.

"You're being hunted, meaning that you're life is in danger. Join the Shinsengumi, and you will live.  If not, you will die."

You scoff in derision at his offer. "As if I'd be any safer with you." You flip your (h/c) hair back in a show of carelessness and disdain.

"Safer, no. Better off? We'd like to think so." His voice is composed as he holds a welcoming hand out to you. "Are you coming? Or would you rather die?" Grumbling, you take his hand and he pulls you behind him as he begins to run. After a while, you grit your teeth as it becomes difficult to keep up, though you never let on that you're struggling: that would be a show of weakness.

Not long after, the two of you arrive at what appears to be a type of headquarters. Once both of you are safely inside the walls, you stand in front of the man who had brought you here. Placing your hands on your hips, you look up at him with a cold gleam in your (e/c) eyes.

"So, who are you exactly?" You ask interrogatively. "And for what purpose do you require me?"

"You're arrogant to believe that we 'require' your services" the man says, a vague smile flickering across his lips. "But, since your clan is known to be quite strong and you seem to have a pretty good head on your shoulders, we thought you might be a nice addition to our ranks."

You puff out your cheeks at this remark. "Nice addition?" You quip, air-quoting with your fingers. "I'm no scholar, but I'm pretty sure I'm not part of a collection set!"

"You're free to leave at any time. We're not holding you captive."

"But -"

"And you did come on your own, free will, did you not?"

"Yeah, well -"

"So, what excuse do you have?" You clamp your mouth shut. This guy was smart; you'd give him that much.

"You never told me who you were" you finally mumble petulantly.

"My name is Toshizo Hijikata, Vice-Commander of the Shinsengumi." He guides you towards a set of sliding doors, where you are introduced to the rest of the leaders. You're almost immediately accepted in and -- before you know it -- you begin to feel right at home.  

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/N:

Toshi is extremely commanding and not the best with women. I believe that he'd have a hard time being gentle with a young lady, which is exactly why I made the reader's character hot-tempered. Her impulsive, saucy nature would add some excitement to Toshi's otherwise strict (and boring) life, causing her to be an obvious handful; they'd balance each other out perfectly.