First Encounter: Keisuke Yamanami

Scenario: One morning, you get kicked out of your own clan because they think you're too weak and "girly" to be a samurai/warrior/fighter. You're pretty upset, but then he asks you if you're alright.

******

"Kicked... Out?" You murmur, speechless. Your clan has just kicked you out, claiming that "your weak, feminine abilities were of no use to them". You stand there, staring at the gate that had just been closed in your face.

"How rude" you hiss, turning and walking away. You aimlessly wander the village streets with no specific destination in mind.

"Oof!"

You glance up at the man who you had bumped into. "Sorry" you mumble, dropping your eyes. As you go to walk past him, he suddenly grabs your wrist.

"Hey, are you alright?" You panic when he starts to talk to you. What does he want? You don't answer him, so he brings his face around to look into yours.

"What seems to be the problem?" He asks, smiling a little. The smile makes you feel completely unsafe.

"Let go of me!" You slam your foot onto his, causing him to grimace in pain. His grip loosens a bit, and you twist your wrist out of his grasp. Once again, you start to walk away and once again, he stops you.

"Look here, Mister" you snarl. "Touch me and you're dead."

"Calm down; I'm not going to hurt you." He pushes his round glasses up on the bridge of his nose. "That scar under your right eye; isn't that the sign of the (clan name)?"

You freeze at the mention of your former, betraying clan. "And if it is?" You ask, feeling a stab of pain hit you squarely in the heart.

"What are you doing, wandering the streets alone at this hour of the morning?" His voice is a little more gentle.

"It's none of your business, okay?" You say angrily, glaring at him.

"I'm sorry." He releases your arm. "If you find yourself without a clan, the Shinsengumi will be glad to take you in. Tell them that Sannan-san sent you." Smiling warmly at you, he nods in departure before walking away.

An hour later, you find yourself at the gates of the Shinsengumi. You tell the guards that Sannan-san was the one who had sent you and you're immediately led to a room filled with other men, who you can only assume to be as leaders, captains, and commanders. The head commander welcomes you in and introduces you to everyone.

"Is your name really Sannan-san?" You ask the man from earlier, a bit timid now that you've officially joined his group.

"No, my full name is Keisuke Yamanami" he says, smiling warmly; you smile back.

"Then, thank you Keisuke Yamanami, for giving me a second chance."  

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/N:

Since Sannan-san is extremely smart and supposedly kind-hearted, the reader's character would be quite feminine and jumpy with a bit of sass and intellect thrown into the mix (due to having been in admitted into a clan in the first place). 

He would notice a woman in distress and inquire after her well-being, because I feel that he'd be caring and sensitive to another's needs. He'd be the perfect gentleman.