First Day of Training: Sanosuke Harada

Scenario: It's your first day of training, and the one who found you is the one responsible for your instruction. What will it be like to train with him as your mentor?

******

You tightly grip the hilt of your katana, swinging it side to side as you allow yourself to become re-accustomed to its weight.

"You're pretty scary with that thing." You jump at the sound of your new trainer's voice, dropping your katana in the process.

"Harada-Senpai!" You bow to him. "Thank you; please take care of me!"

"Haha! Anything you say" he says, walking over to you as you recover you katana. "Shall we begin?"

The two of you duel with your sword against his spear. Not to be conceited, but you had thought you were a good fighter. However, fighting against Harada-san proved that he was much more skilled. As you fight, he instructs you on how to read your opponent's move whether they fought with a sword, gun, or even spear.

"You're a very skilled fighter" Harada-san remarks as you take a break.

"Thank you, Harada-Senpai."

"What's with the 'Senpai' stuff? Just call me Harada-san" he says, smiling invitingly.

"Oh no, I couldn't" You immediately object, though you had been referring to him by that name in your head since you had learned his name.

"And why not?"

You search for an answer. "Ah, well, I just... I just couldn't!"

"(y/n), it's okay." You look up to see him walking towards you. His kind face reassures you that it will be alright. You take a deep breath, then meet his eyes with your own (e/c) ones.

"Then, thank you, Harada-san."

"You're very welcome." He holds his spear out towards you. "Wanna try?"

"Huh?!"

"Here." He places it gently into your hands, then guides your fingers around the handle.

"Your fingers go here... And then you hold it like this. Now you'll thrust it like this; that's right."

Gently, Harada-san instructs you how to use the spear. He speaks encouragingly to you, complimenting you on your strengths and kindly correcting your mistakes.

You feel a warm glow start within your heart; he was so kind. He trained in the way you always imagined a teacher should instruct: kind, helpful, and encouragingly.

"You're smiling; that's good sign, right?" You look up at him, pulling out of your thoughts.

"Of course!" You say, beaming.

"You're very adept at using the spear."

"Thank you." Pause. "Uh, Harada-san?"

"Yes?"

You nervously look down at your hands. "Would it be alright if I -- if I made the spear my dominant weapon too?" You steal a cautious glance up at him to see that he looks shocked.

"You want to use the spear?"

You nod hastily. "Yes! I feel very comfortable using it!"

He chuckles softly. "Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way."

"Then, you don't mind?"

"Not at all; it will make training you an even easier task!"