On Patrol: Sanosuke Harada

Scenario: After straight, solid training for the past week or so, you're finally being allowed to go out on patrol. Your trainer (and now friend) is responsible for your well-being on your first day. What will happen while the two of you are in town?

******

"Hey Sano-san! Let's go have fun!" You look over your shoulder at Shinpachi, who's grinning idiotically.

"You know we can't" Harada-san says, also looking over his shoulder with a smile.

"Why not?" Shinpachi pouts.

"It's (y/n)'s first time on patrol."

"Exactly! Let's make it memorable for her!"

Harada-san shakes his head, chuckling. "I don't think (y/n) wants her memory to be that of our dear commander yelling at us."

Shinpachi's whole countenance falls. "Oh, yeah..."

You look between the two men, confused. Hijikata-san? Yelling at you?

"Why would Hijikata-san -"

"Shinpachi here likes to leave his post and go drinking instead" Harada-san says.

"I don't go alone!"

You look up at Harada-san. "Do you go drinking?" His face reddens, and he looks away.

"... Occasionally..."

You giggle. "Harada-san? Are you admitting to breaking the rules?" Harada-san smirks through his blush.

"Maybe..." You feign shock.

"How scandalous!" The two of you look at each other, and then burst into laughter. Shinpachi glances between the two of you, looking thoroughly confused.

"What am I missing?" He asks, completely oblivious.

"D-d-don't worry about it!" You gasp through your laughter as tears begin to slide down your cheeks. Harada-san laughs a little more before he finally calms down. You, on the other hand, are still giggling softly.

"Sorry, Shinpachi" Harada-san says, smiling apologetically back at his friend. "We were just laughing..." He glances at you and subtly winks, causing you to blush. Shinpachi sighs, but grins nonetheless.

"Oh, okay. As long as you're laughing with (y/n), I don't mind being left out."

"Wha-?" You blanch, surprised.

"Shut up, you moron" Harada-san says, looking like he's trying to act cool. Sadly, he was failing miserably at it.

"What'd I do?" Shinpachi asks defensively. "All I said was -"

"Don't say it again." By now, Harada-san's face was the color of a ripe tomato, leaving you confused as well.

"Uh..." You look at your hands. "Are you okay, Harada-san?"

He looks down at you and smiles weakly. "Absolutely."

"But, you don't seem fine..."

He chuckles. "Don't worry about me."

"That's right!" Shinpachi calls up from the back. "Because worrying is his job!" You giggle as Harada-san blatantly ignores his friend's comment.

You smile to yourself; spending time with these two guys always made you smile. But, on the days that it was just you and Harada-san training, things were different. You felt more at ease in his presence. He was just a relaxed guy all-around, and he made training fun.

"(y/n)?"

"Yes?" You look up at him and realize he's been staring at you.

"Just checking to make sure you're still awake!" He chuckles.

"Yup, I am!" You also laugh.

"Good! Because girls don't sleep when they're with Sano-san."

Later, Heisuke-kun asked Shinpachi about the pink mark on his cheek. All Shinpachi would say was "Sano-san happened."