First Encounter: Shinpachi Nagakura

Scenario: After having been fired by your clan, you go to the bar to drink away your sorrows. It is there that you first meet him. What happens when you wake up from your hangover the next morning to see his face standing above you?

******

You grimace at the loud laughter coming from the man and his two buddies at the next table over. You had been at the bar, drinking away the pain of having been "let go" by your clan. For what specific reason, the chief commander hadn't said. He'd just handed you your belongings, shoved you out the gate, waved goodbye, and then slammed the door behind you.

The three groupies become extremely boisterous, causing you to ball your hands into tight fists. Yes, you could hold down your liquor just as good as any other male samurai. Problem was, you easily got headaches after heavy drinking, and those three warriors were just obnoxious enough to send you over the top. You glare at them and prepare for battle: if it was a fight they wanted, it'd be a fight that you'd give them.

Rising from your seat, you walk purposefully over to them and slam a hand down onto their table. "Keep it down" you snarl through clenched teeth.

"O-ho! Listen to this one" the loudest of them hoots in derision. You roll your eyes and wonder if all men were as dense as he was.

"Hey Shinpachi! I don't think you're making her very happy!" The youngest of them remarks drunkenly, chuckling a bit.

"Hey pretty lady, why don't you join us?" The one called Shinpachi suggests, motioning with his hand. He tries to wrap an arm around your waist, so naturally, you reach out and slap him smartly across the cheek.

"D**n it! What was that for?!" He shoots to his feet and his face is filled with rage. You hold your ground, glaring defiantly up at him.

"Only what you deserved" you snarkily retort, tossing back your (h/c) hair and folding your arms over your chest.

"Why, you little -"

"Cool it, Shinpachi." His buddy, who's holding a spear, says as he grabs your opponent's arm. The former continues to scowl at you, but loses his initial, violent appearance.

"Fine, I'll let you off easy. This time" he grunts.

"Tch." You blow him off, pay your bill, and leave the bar. The next morning, you wake to someone roughly shaking your shoulder.

"Hey, you! Wake up already!" A familiar voice shouts. You crack an eye, then open them both wide in recognition. Standing before you is the man from the bar last night.

"What do you want?" You ask, acting brave but feeling nervous.

"Don't get all mad!" Shinpachi exclaims, throwing his hands up in surrender. "I just... Wanted to say I was sorry." His cheeks pink and he looks away.

You take one good, long look at him and giggle. "It's nothing" You say, smiling at him.

"Really? That's good to hear! I'm Shinpachi, by the way; Shinpachi Nagakura of the Shinsengumi." He thrusts out a hand towards you.

"I'm (/f/n)(/l/n)" you answer, taking his hand and shaking it firmly.

"What caused you to be at the bar last night?" He asks. You look away, trying to appear as nonchalant as possible.

"Oh, nothing. I just got kicked out of my clan."

"Really?" He looks shocked. "Then join us!"

You stare at him in disbelief. "I couldn't-"

"C'mon. It'll be great!" He grins and you find yourself struggling to say no. Finally giving in, you take his hand and, within two hours, you become part of the Shinsengumi because of a man named Shinpachi Nagakura that you had met at a bar one, unfortunate night.  

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/N:

Shinpachi is a fairly happy, care-free person. I'm sure that if someone were to confront him while in a drunken state though, his usual pleasant self would become not-so-pleasant.

That's why I made the reader's character a rough-n-tough girl who'd be pretty much immune to his womanizing ways. Her spunk would be a good match to Shinpachi's egotistical persona, and I feel that they'd balance each other out well.