On Patrol: Toshizo Hijikata

Scenario: After straight, solid training for the past week or so, you're finally being allowed to go out on patrol. Your trainer (and now friend) is responsible for your well-being on your first day. What will happen while the two of you are in town?

******

"Stay alert and by my side" Hijikata-san says bruskly as you walk around the village. You had been excited for today because you had been told that he was stationed at the head of the patrol group. To your dismay, the two of you are now stuck in the center and surrounded by men on all sides. You can barely see what's going on, which was rather disappointing seeing as how you're supposed to be learning from this experience.

"Hijikata-san, sir" you say, looking up at him. "Wouldn't I learn better if I were standing at the head of the patrol team with you rather than in a position where I can't see a thing?"

"Better? Perhaps. Safer? No."

You pout at his short, blunt reply. He always treated you like such a girl! You silently wished that one day, he'd see you as the strong, female warrior that you really are. Not a weak, little girl who he's taken under his wing...

"(y/n)." You jump at the sound of his voice.

"Yes, Hijikata-san?"

"Don't zone out; you must stay alert."

"Yes Sir." You train your eyes forward in determination. You would not give him the satisfaction of seeing you fail. You would live up to his expectations, then surpass them. You would become so strong that you might even reach his level. Maybe you'd even...

"(y/n)!" Again, you're pulled out of your thoughts by his commanding voice.

"Yes Sir!"

"What did I say about zoning out?"

You blanch. "... Not to do it...?"

He sighs in exasperation. "And what were you doing just now?"

You smile sheepishly up at him. "Well, you know? I believe I was zoning out."

"Don't get smart with me, young lady." He looks menacingly down at you, causing you to back down; slightly.

"Uh, no Sir. I won't." Now reprimanded, you do your best to regain favor with your trainer. You look around attentively, and your blood suddenly runs cold. You spot a member of your former clan and your eyes meet, confirming that he's seen you too.

"Um, Hijikata-san?" You tug on the sleeve of his robe.

"Yes?" He sounds annoyed. You struggle to discretely point out your enemy, but of course, Hijikata-san immediately picks up on it without any trouble (despite your incapability to be discrete). He whispers something to one of the men stationed at the front before taking your hand and leading you down multiple different alleyways at a brisk run.

"We'll be safe if we just wait here" he says. You're both breathing hard from the exertion.

"Gotcha." A hand grabs your wrists as another covers your mouth to stifle your screams. A large group of men from your former clan have gathered around you, and they look murderous. You gulp as your mind races for a strategic way out. It can't end here! You just got a new life with the Shinsengumi!

"Release her!" Hijikata-san shouts, unsheathing his katana. He takes out your captor first, then proceeds to fight the other men. You stand there in the middle of the alley, dumbfounded. It all happened so fast: did he really just rescue you?

"(y/n)! Behind you!" You turn to see a man charging straight towards you, his sword raised menacingly above his head. Instinctively, you yank your own blade out of its sheath and deftly block the man's blow. As he stumbles backwards, you match his steps and thrust the butt of your hilt into his head, knocking him out cold.

Not long afterwards, you find yourself being led back to the patrol group by Hijikata-san. The two of you had left the battered, bleeding, and unconscious bodies of your attackers in the alley. When they woke up, they would be mad, but you would be long gone.

"Do you now understand why I've stressed the importance of not zoning out?" You jump in surprise for what seems to be the thousandth time that day. You had been walking in compatible (if not slightly awkward) silence, until now.

"Uh, I think so" you meekly reply.

"You do realize that, had I not warned you, that man would have sliced you in two, and you would now be dead?" You blanch at the bluntness of his comment.

"... Yes Sir."

"I'm glad you understand" he says, smiling vaguely. "It'd be a shame if you died" he added, causing your head to snap up as you look at him in question.

"Because," he looks down at you and smirks, "I'm fairly certain that life without you might be a little less than exciting."