Time to Hit the Battlefield: Souji Okita

Scenario: You've trained, patrolled, and learned from your mentor-turned-friend. But then news comes that the Choushuu are conspiring against the Shinsengumi! Are you prepared to fight for the first time alongside the man that you've suddenly become friends with (and are now starting to have feelings for)?

******

You blink out of sheer shock. Conspirators? Against the Shinsengumi? It just didn't seem to register in your mind. After Okita-san had come out of the meeting, he had told you the terrible news.

"The commanders want to know if you want fight" Okita-san's voice cuts into your thoughts.

"What?" You shake your head. "I'm sorry, I wasn't listening."

"Do you wanna fight, or not?"

You gulp. "Do you... Do you think I'm ready?"

"What do you mean, 'Do I think you're ready'?" He asks, albeit a bit harshly. You flinch.

"Well, I mean, I wasn't the best to start with, and -"

"I think you can do it."

You stop. "Really?"

"Yeah, but we're going to have to do a lot of training before we leave."

"Of course."

"Think you can handle it?" He raises an eyebrow.

You nod. "Definitely."

"Good. Then training starts now."

"Wha-? But we just barely finished breakfast!"

"I said we'd have to train a lot, didn't I?"

"Well, yes..."

"Then let's get to it." Okita-san tosses you a sheathed katana, which you catch with ease. Unsheathing his own, you follow him out to the training grounds.

Immediately, without calling a signal, he attacks you. Surprised, you fumble with the sheath and block his blade seconds before it would have made contact. He attacks you again, but even more forcibly. When you block him this time, your skid back a five or six inches. He had never fought you this violently before, and his lips were curled in a sadistic smirk. Unbeknownst to you, he was fighting seriously.

"Okita... San..." You puff, fifteen minutes later. "Could we... Maybe... Take a... Break...?"

"Are you already tired?" You could tell that his strength was also wavering, though he was doing his best to cover it up. He lunges at you again, but suddenly starts to cough, causing him to fall to his knees.

"Okita-san!" You drop your katana and hurry towards him.

He holds up a hand to stop you. "I'm fine."

"No, you're not." You place a hand on his forehead. "Good grief, Okita-san! You're burning up!"

"I said, I'm fine" he growls.

"No, you're not. We can continue training later. Right now, both of us" you look pointedly at him, "need to rest. Come on." You wrap one of his arms around your shoulders and struggle to help him stand.

"(y/n)." You stop; using your name was a rare occurrence. Usually, he didn't refer to you at all with a name. He just spoke to you, and you knew that he was addressing you.

"Yes?"

"I can get up by myself" he wheezes, standing. You shake your head as you back up; he was always so independent. After taking a few staggering steps forward, Okita-san stops.

Without turning around to face you, he says, "(y/n)?"

"Yes?" You quickly respond.

"Will you... Will you walk with me?"