On Patrol: Keisuke Yamanami

Scenario: After straight, solid training for the past week or so, you're finally being allowed to go out on patrol. Your trainer (and now friend) is responsible for your well-being on your first day. What will happen while the two of you are in town?

******

You watch Sannan-san closely as the two of you make the rounds through the village: he appears extremely focused and determined. You silently admire his professional demeanor and the way he carries himself. His aura is so commanding that it's unignorable. His very presence in a room could cause a multitude of people to straighten.

"(y/n)?" You blink.

"Yes, Sannan-san?"

"Is something the matter with me?" He looks genuinely surprised.

"Uh, no Sir. Why would you ask such a question?"

"You were staring at me."

You flush scarlet. "Oh goodness, was I?"

Sannan-san chuckles. "Yes, you were."

Your eyes widen in embarrassment. "Please forgive me!"

"There's nothing to forgive!" He's still laughing. You fall silent, not really sure what else to say. In truth, there really wasn't anything left for you to say.

"Don't be embarrassed" he says, his laughter finally dying down.

"I-I-I'm not!" You stammer. Sannan-san smiles down at you.

"That's good to hear." The two of you continue to walk in silence, observing the town and the usual bustle.

"This is where I first found you" Sannan-san suddenly says. You look up at him in surprise.

"Is it?"

He nods. "Yes. I remember quite well."

You groan. "Please don't remind me of that!"

"Why not? It was a monumental time in your life." You open your mouth to respond, but then shut it tightly.

"... Sure."

"You don't agree?"

You blanch. "No! It's not that at all! I -" He chuckles softly and his eyes squint kindly in a smile.

"Wow, (y/n), I haven't heard Sannan-san laugh so much since..." Heisuke-kun pauses to think. "I don't know the last time he's laughed this much!" You feel your cheeks grow warm at the indirect compliment.

"Oh no! It's not me, I didn't-"

"Sh." Sannan-san places a finger over your lips as he smiles down at you. "Someday, you will see just how much good you have done."