On Patrol: Hajime Saito

Scenario: After straight, solid training for the past week or so, you're finally being allowed to go out on patrol. Your trainer (and now friend) is responsible for your well-being on your first day. What will happen while the two of you are in town?

******

You look around the village in awe; just a few weeks ago, you were walking these very streets as a civilian. Now you were part of the infamous Shinsengumi, with Commander Hajime Saito at your side.

"(y/n)."

You jump. "Ah, yes?"

"Please be sure to observe the correct protocol while on this patrol."

"Yes Sir." He slightly narrows his eyes. "I mean, yes Saito-san" you quickly correct yourself. "Sorry, I just forget sometimes. I'm still getting used to calling you by name!" You laugh nervously, though your heart has begun to beat wildly.

"It's fine. Just try not to forget again."

"Right." You write down a mental note of not forgetting to use his name. As you walk along the streets, you glimpse something bright in the corner of your eye.

"Oooh! What's that?" Easily distracted, you break off from the rest of the patrol group to look at the shop booth. There were elegantly designed pistols sitting on a velvet cloth. The barrels gleam in bright sunlight, and your eyes begin to sparkle.

"Ah, are you interested in these for your husband?" An old man asks from behind the table.

"Oh, no! I don't have a husband. But, these are beautiful" you quickly say.

"Really? A young lady like you is interested in guns?" You smile; this was a response you were used to getting.

"Yes; in fact, I'm a collector. May I -"

"(y/n)."

"Kya!" You stare at the dark-haired man who had appeared out of nowhere.

"You are to alert me when you leave the group" Saito-san says flatly.

"I'm sorry, I-"

"Are you this young lady's suitor?" The old man asks innocently. You blush, and Saito-san clears his throat.

"Ah, no."

"Do you value guns as much as she does?"

"No."

"Then, why don't you look at these?" The man pulls out some finely designed katanas. Saito-san stops short.

"Would you mind if I kept looking?" You ask hopefully. With a sigh, Saito-san shakes his head.

"No, go ahead." Nodding your gratitude, you return to examining the shining pistols. After a few moments, you hear a soft noise of surprise. Turning, you see that Saito-san's eyes are wide.

"Hm?" You edge closer to get a good look at the katanas.

"These are very well made" he says simply.

"I see." His fingers reach out to touch the weapons. You watch his face and see the same emotions that you felt towards guns flicker across his eyes. Though he was often reserved when it came to feelings, you had gotten to know how to read him throughout the weeks that you had trained with him.

"(y/n)." You blink in surprise.

"Yes?"

Saito-san smiles vaguely. "I'm... Glad that we could spend this time together."