Chapter Nineteen: E.C.T.

Note: Yeah, I'm back. But you might want to re-read the ending of Chapter 18...

A thought crossed my mind but I dismissed it even quicker than it came. But to my self-hatred, it came right back.

No, Kendall. Do you not remember all of the books you've read. It never ends well for the character. Ever.

But... I might be different then those characters.

No Kendall. You cannot go on a date with Jack and be at the ball simultaneously. It will never work. Just tell Jack the truth.

I sighed to myself. The truth. It sometimes can cause more harm than good.

I looked back at the text. This conversation will just have to wait. Then I stuffed my iPhone in my back pocket and continued walking.

I weaved my way through the last bit of students who were huddling in clusters throughout the courtyard. Then, after a few "excuse me"s, I finally made it to the Musical Arts Building.

The large wooden doors of the brick building were propped open, letting access to the inside much easier. I scurried inside and made my way to the room where I first learned about auditions.

As soon as I walked into the room, a wave of nerves passed over me. Students were standing in a circle by the big window on the other side of the room.

You can do this Kendall. I took another step into the music room.

The Snoopy knickknack covered desk still sat in the corner. The setting looked just the same. Except for the students of course. The students whom I might embarrass myself in front of.

I looked back up at the circle of students and hesitated for a moment, not sure if I should walk over to the group or run away before anyone could acknowledge my presence.

"Kendall! It's so good to see you!", a woman's voice shouted. Looks like it's a bit late to run now. I scanned the circle to find who said my name. Then I saw Mrs. G approaching me. Fantastic.

"Kendall, I'm so glad that you made it. You have such a stellar voice. We're so happy to have you on the team.", she said, clasping her hands together with a smile on her face.

"Thank you.", I replied nervously, secretly eying the circle of students.

"Why don't you go join the circle, we will be starting in a few minutes.", Mrs. G said, referring to the group of students.

I just nodded and headed to the circle.

I awkwardly walked to the edge of the circle, and stood silently behind this really tall guy.

A few minutes passed before practice finally started.

"Welcome students, to the first practice of the year for the Elite Curmouth Choir!", Mrs. G announced from somewhere out of my sight. I heard a few whoops from some of the students. "Will everyone take a few steps back to make more room for all the newcomers?"

I jumped out of the way of the tall person in front of me to avoid getting crushed. After everyone took a few steps back, I moved in between the tall dude and a girl with a platinum blonde pixie cut.

"Alright. I am so glad to be teaching you all. To start off the practice, we will do a vocal exercise where we can all learn each other's names.", Mrs. G announced, walking into the middle of the circle. "So a person will sing their name, and we will repeat the name back in our own pitch. This will help me decide what singing range you are, and it will help you guys learn each other's names. Any questions?"