Chapter Thirty: Hospitals

My mind was racing a million miles per second at what Jack had just said. Tabitha is in the hospital? How is that possible? I had just seen her Friday in Physics, and she was fine.

Although I was dying to know how Tabitha was hospitalized, I knew I had to help Jack first. I had to be strong for him, and getting him to Tabitha was a top priority. Who knows, maybe Jack needed to go to the hospital too, because he was paper-white, and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he started hurling in the next thirty seconds. Whatever happened with Tabitha must have been pretty bad. This evening certainly took an unexpected dark turn.

Knowing all too well that we needed to get to Tabitha, I sprang into action, picking up the blankets from the ground and messily folding them. I then handed the picnic basket to Jack, carrying the blankets myself. We both ran out of the clearing and onto the main path, reaching the minivan in a few minutes.

I took Jack's keys, making him ride in the passenger's seat. Jack was shaking, and I didn't want him behind the wheel until he started feeling a little better.

I began to drive down the road, trying to remember where the hospital was. I could faintly recall driving past it a few times, but I never went too close to it. I had a bad track record with hospitals, and hadn't entered one since I was the one in the hospital bed. I didn't have a fear of hospitals, just an understandable disliking for them. Some think hospitals are a place where people go to get better, but for me, it's as a place where people go to die.

Jack remained scarily silent as I drove, staring at the road without reason. I didn't bother talking to him. All he wanted was to make sure Tabitha was okay, and I was okay with that. I understood his silence. Kind of.

Once we drove back into civilization, the familiar surroundings helped guide me to Curmouth Grace Hospital. I pulled up to the front entrance of the tall, concrete hospital, stopping the car in front of the clear, automatic doors.

"You go in, I'll park the car.", I told Jack, allowing him to get out of the car.

Jack snapped out of his trance, looking up with me, trying to smile, but failing miserably. "Thanks, Ken.", He said weakly, before leaving me and entering the hospital, his face contorted with sadness and fear.

I mechanically found a parking spot and turned off the car, letting my head fall on the steering wheel. I squeezed my eyes shut, and let myself take in a breath. My bad luck never left.

I wanted to stay in the car, but I knew better. I had to be there for Jack if I ever wanted him to be there for me. I lightly brushed my hand over the necklace that Jack had given to me. Stay strong, Ken.

I made myself get out of the car, lock it, and walk toward the hospital. As I approached the hospital, the automatic glass doors slid open, allowing me access. The moment I entered, the familiar scent of antiseptic and lemon-cleaner filled my nostrils, making my throat close. I never did like the smell of hospitals, even before the car accident.

Walking up to the front desk, I smiled at the middle-aged lady behind the counter.

"Can you please give me the room number for Tabitha Rose-Matthews?", I asked her nicely, hoping she wouldn't question me.

The lady looked up, her glasses perched on the bridge of her nose as she studied my face. "Family and relatives only.", She answered, blandly.

Gritting my teeth, I forced myself to remain smiling. "I'm her cousin.", I lied.

She frowned, studying me, not believing me at all. "Room 352, third floor.", She mumbled, grumpily, returning her vulture-gaze to the paperwork in front of her.